Author Topic: Multiple Pass Cutting + Changing Direction or start points  (Read 390 times)

divide

• View Profile
Multiple Pass Cutting + Changing Direction or start points
« on: August 10, 2016, 06:02:15 PM »
I've been doing a lot of cutting through various acrylics and noticed some weirdness in certain shapes or paths.  While doing multiple passes, there are some spots that resist cutting and are repeatable regardless of focus, number of passes and speed.  This results in having to manually cut through the backside or risk chipping the material if your force it. 

I suspect that is is the result of slightly faster acceleration when going certain corners or shapes, which gets exaggerated as it does multiple passes over the same area.  I can continue to do even more passes but its wasteful and can impact already cut areas.

1.  Is there any gocde generation software that can randomize the start point or reverse cut direction for multi-pass cuts?
2.  Has anyone else experienced this?

PROTIP:  1/4" Red opaque acrylic cuts extremely well on my 2.5W, 4 passes at 60 generally does the job and its not very sensitive to focus.

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Pass Cutting + Changing Direction or start points
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 06:17:02 PM »
Check out BenCut Laser and Ralph's YouTube videos. He does a good job explaining the features and how to set up cutting for different material. I'm not sure about random stat points along the path but he cuts several types of material with it quite successfully.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Pilot Instructor
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Pass Cutting + Changing Direction or start points
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 10:44:13 PM »
If you're talking about Acrylics only, that results does sound really strange. When I was doing my test cutting of Acrylics, I didn't have any problems cutting the colors that would cut...some colors I could not cut, but those I could cut, cut cleanly. I was using my BenCutLaser CAM software. I have not cut Acrylic with it in a long time as I am focusing on the harder to cut 3mm woods, but I don't think I'd have any problems cutting Acrylics with it today.

If you're also talking about cutting woods, then you're running into the grain problem. Grain direction gives our low power lasers a special problem they have to deal with via CAM software. That's exactly why I created BenCutLaser, which deals nicely with that problem.