Author Topic: T2Laser new features  (Read 3889 times)

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
T2Laser new features
« on: August 14, 2016, 08:06:34 AM »
The T2Laser license allows all registered users free upgrades for 1 year, so unlike most software that requires you to purchase an upgrade each time new features are added these additions are free for everyone  8)

I have already written the code and will be doing extensive testing over the next couple of days before releasing a beta for you all to test. Before I release it, I am looking for some feedback.

So we're all on the same page, raster means it is engraved/scanned and vector means it is either cut or engraved as a line.

I'm calling it Sketch Plus and it supports the following:

1. Overlay filled Sketch on an Image - the result is a combined raster job (so you can quickly add text to your images)
2. Add vector Sketch to an Image - results in a raster image combined with vector Sketch (used for cut out?).
3. Add vector Sketch to a filled Sketch - the result is a raster Sketch combined with vector Sketch, could be used to "crisp" up the edges of a Sketch as a quick way to produce filled text.
4. Image with contour cut - results in a raster image followed by traced vector

So now, with Sketch you have 6 modes including the previous Sketch vector and Sketch Filled raster output.

My question, am I missing anything? While I'm working on the Sketch code I'd like to make any other improvements.

In the trace module I now allow you to use zoom, I still think you get better results with 1:1 view but after some testing the difference is negligible so I have enabled it. It now uses the output for #4 above.

There are many small updates and bug fixes in addition to the above, I am now correctly supporting transparent png images  and have fixed some of the sub-form open locations. The simulation "View" can skip laser off lines (previously drawn as yellow).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 11:07:33 AM by Zax »

Airborndaddy

• View Profile
    • CavStoreTX Etsy Store
Re: T2Laser new features
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 11:55:32 AM »
Only thing I would like to see is the ability to setup project size for placement. And a ruler on the setup/sketch screen for output size, a progressive zoom in sketch as well so I can zoom as much as I want max maybe 10x in and out?

I currently use the Eleks laser A5 size to engrave family and a army crests and text on 2 time acrylic and trying Laserable Aluminum. This would add everything I think I would need to be more productive.

Does T2 also work with the 40 watt CO2 lasers from Ebay? Can we make it work at a later time, I am planning on upgrading to CO2 later because of glass and clear acrylic engraving properties.

I would love to help test these new features with you.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 12:04:10 PM by Airborndaddy »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 02:43:58 PM »
If the crests are vector I would generate the job in CAD, including the text. Then import it.

If they're images then I agree. Actually when I was writing the code I initially had the Sketch set the document size and the image was either centered or zoomed to fit (I could have added a way to move it around) but it caused a significant error in my G-Code generation. It is fixable but would take some time and I didn't want to break the core generation at this time.

Adding rulers is on my list, currently you can use the status bar to track X/Y position and length/width or parametric entry (P) to set the values directly for accurate placement.

Variable zoom is a good suggestion, I will add it to my list. It would work well with rulers and allowing more of a fluid work space for placing images and moving them around.

Most of, if not all of the cheap 40W CO2 lasers come with proprietary controller boards and a driver for Corel or similar. I used the supplied driver and Corel for several years, it wasn't until I got the diode laser and Benbox that I decided to write T2Laser.

T2Laser generates G-Code and the controller module works with Grbl. If you convert a 40W laser to run on Grbl then yes it will work exactly the same.

poolhound

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 09:03:26 AM »
I second the addition of rulers as a new feature.

It seems that when importing vectors the output size does not show you exactly how big the result will be and when I try to trace the outline it extends beyond the boundaries of my machine. Having the rulers would allow you to see the size.

This may also be because the workspace defaults to some large size. Is it possible that when you import a vector it will adjust the workspace to fit or maybe even to match the workspace of the original source.
Jon
Phoenix,AZ

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 09:44:44 AM »
Noted.

When you import a vector the workspace is your original source, dimensions and locations are imported exactly as represented in the file. If you turn on the overlay you'll see the extents.

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 06:43:55 PM »
Have you thought about including homing during the features update?
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw
Printrbot Play. Ext bed, integrated tablet control.
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA

TBN

• View Profile
    • Traditional By Nature
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 07:48:13 PM »
I really like the new features Zax! Keep 'em coming!
500mw A5 Mini Laser Engraving Machine from GearBest

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 06:53:09 AM »
Have you thought about including homing during the features update?

Yes, but I am waiting for laser firmware that supports it.

My CO2 and CNC both use homing and it is something I miss.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 06:54:25 AM »
I really like the new features Zax! Keep 'em coming!

Thank you, that's the plan ;D