Author Topic: need help with sizes  (Read 1286 times)

arjepsen

• View Profile
need help with sizes
« on: August 22, 2016, 12:08:58 PM »
Hey.

I've been messing around with t2laser, but I'm having trouble getting my designs engraved the right size.

So far I've tried making a design in libreoffice/openoffice draw, exporting as jpg, and then opening it in t2laser.
I also tried making some shapes (squares) in inkscape, and exporting them as png files, which t2laser seemed to be able to open.
Vector graphics, made in inkscape and imported according to the manual, works fine. But images are giving me trouble.
Would someone be willing to make a small walkthrough for a newbie?

Regards
Anders

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: need help with sizes
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 12:38:02 PM »
Take a look at the output size in T2 and compare that to the size of the image in Inkscape. It might be related to the DPI setting when you export the image in Inkscape.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: need help with sizes
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 02:14:42 PM »
Images don't have physical dimensions, they have pixels. Some software will calculate the pixels required based on the DPI as Agastar mentioned but many just save the DPI to the header.

In T2Laser you can click the Output Size icon (right side) and enter the size you want, but keep in mind depending on the resolution you may generate a huge file. So set the resolution first.

Turn on the overlay (i icon) and it will show the pixels and output size in mm.

If you set a resolution of 0.1 mm, that's 254 DPI, 0.2 mm would be 127 DPI (these are reasonable settings in most cases). So if your software really does export correct pixel sizes you could try those and match the resolution in T2Laser and it will give the right size output.