Author Topic: Power Outage  (Read 829 times)

Airborndaddy

• View Profile
    • CavStoreTX Etsy Store
Power Outage
« on: August 22, 2016, 07:35:49 PM »
Word of advise for those using the Benbox lasers with the T2 software. The other night I was running an image on a plaque, and about 4 hours into the burn of approx 190k lines of code my power surged and the laser shut off for just a second. The program didn't catch the small jump in power but the machine reset home and continued to run code bot it shifted home approx 20mm to the right effectively ruining the piece. Just a word of warning, buy and run you computer and laser on an UPS  (uninterrupted power supply) battery backup. My 1500 watt ups says it would run the laser and computer for 84 mins on battery alone, giving me enough time to go pause the gcode or depending on how much is left just watch and finish the burn.

Again if you have already figured this out than your good but if you haven't invested in an UPS than consider yourself warned, don't do anything expensive or time consuming with out a battery backup. 

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Power Outage
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 06:02:33 AM »
Wow, really good point.

These machines are open loop, so there is no feedback to T2Laser or any other software if the machine loses power. If you're using a laptop or desktop with UPS the software and Nano will just keep sending commands while the laser is off and not moving.