Author Topic: Motor and Laser Cables  (Read 5154 times)

sapling

• View Profile
Motor and Laser Cables
« on: August 25, 2016, 11:27:45 AM »
Looking for some longer motor cables and an extension that will work for the Laser cable as it doesnt disconnect from the laser itself. I would like to not have to make the cables in any way shape or form. I need them to reach 2ft and if anyone knows of a place on amazon to buy them that would be great as well. Otherwise any source works for me. I thought someone had already posted links for the cables but for whatever reason I cant seem to find the post.

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
Re: Motor and Laser Cables
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 12:51:56 PM »
For the motors you could use some JST-XH 3S extension cables. You can get them in 11.8" lengths. You can just plug in to the board and the stock cable. Not finding a 2 pin extension so far.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-JST-XH-3S-Lipo-Balance-Wire-Extension-Charged-Cable-Lead-11-8-30cm-/390785700336
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw
Printrbot Play. Ext bed, integrated tablet control.
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA

sapling

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 06:28:39 AM »
Thanks man you rock didnt know that they were called JST connectors so I found on ADA fruit https://www.adafruit.com/products/1131?gclid=CJ3qgqmW384CFQkfhgodB_wH6Q
Thats a 2 pin extension 500mm long that should do as its made for batteries so I cant imagine that it cant handle 12Volts.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 06:55:06 AM »
Those are the wrong pitch, you need the 2.5mm XH series.

JST is the manufacturer http://www.jst.com/

sapling

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 10:37:13 AM »
Which ones the Ada fruit ones or the 4-pin cables?
Ah Nm the ada fruit ones I see they are PH I missed that/
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 10:38:00 AM by sapling »

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 10:52:05 AM »
JST-XH are the right cables for the stock board connectors. Used heavily in the Radio Control hobby. That is where I looked for the extensions. Unfortunately when they get down to 2pin cables there is a switch to a different JST connector. A JST-F or JST-M. Jst-xh 2pin are not used much in R/C. So extensions are hard to find for that connector. I have JST-XH 3S 8" extension in my parts box.
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw
Printrbot Play. Ext bed, integrated tablet control.
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 10:47:53 AM »
I purchased 250 jst crimps last week from DigiKey. I got the larger wire size and they do not fit nicely. Ordered 250 of the smaller, part no 455-1135-1-ND,  and will let you know how they fit when they arrive.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

ROSS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 12:22:30 PM »
Yep..you really can get in a mess with these JST connectors and have to watch it.  I had about three sets  before I hit the right ones.
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

beikeland

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 04:29:26 AM »
Any of you have identified the connector used at the motor end? My cables are just barely long enough, and I'd like to replace them with something that doesn't strain the connector at the extremes, maybe add a drag chain as well. Don't want to have an 2.5 XH extension in the moving wires though.

ROSS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 07:04:01 AM »
   JST PLUGS AND SOCKETS IN UK.
https://electronic-things.co.uk/category/con/jst/

I have decided to go with ribbon cable.  I got the 8 way but can split it down.
See how it goes.
 I originally bought 4 way but it was a bit too stiff.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 07:05:54 AM by ROSS »
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 07:38:16 AM »
What are you using for crimp pins and crimp tool?

beikeland

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 08:13:36 AM »
I've tried a few ratcheting crimpers in various low/mid price ranges and it seems to me that if it doesn't have Knipex or something similarly ridiculously expensive written on it its not very good.

Engineer PA09 on the other hand, while its non-ratcheting and you need to crimp the wire and the strain relief in two seperate processes I find it makes consistent and very good crimps. Think I've gone through 2-3000 crimps with it and hardly any failures. So if you're on a budget, dont waste money trying to find something else. Its cheap and reliable, and will crimp almost anything.

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 08:19:37 AM »

beikeland

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 09:26:37 AM »
From the picture and description those crimpers may be better than other cheap ones I've tried before. Cast dies or even machined ones from China are not very accurate.

But the manual tool from Engineer will crimp just about anything smaller than the type of molex connectors you find on old computer harddrives etc. So if you suddenly need to do 2mm JST or something smaller it has you covered. I don't find it takes that much longer to slide the crimp back and do the second crimp for the strain relief, and you get the added advantage of being able to control how much you crimp depending on the outer diameter of your wire for a perfect fit every time.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 09:49:50 AM »
I just spent an hour on the chat line with Digikey. I have two orders of crimp pins from them for different gauge wire. Examined the 2 with magnifying glass and micrometer and both appear to be the same pin. Tech support kept saying I needed a $500 JST specific crimp tool while I kept saying they were the same physical pin. The primary difference is in the length of insulation wrap tab. Anyway, sales support knew to check the assembly / packaging line to insure that the correct pin is being packaged and is reshipping.