Author Topic: Notice hotter burning but its probably physics  (Read 1382 times)

sapling

• View Profile
Notice hotter burning but its probably physics
« on: August 28, 2016, 06:56:50 AM »
So I notice that when I have a long straight line the edges of it tend to get burned more because the laser adjusts and shifts down another line and continues thus the wood is still hot and gets burned more.
Obviously this is mainly physics and makes me wonder if for more consistent results but a longer run time it would be better for it to always start from one side when running. So always begin each line left to right or right to left never continue the next line like a printer.
Just a thought as you can see the differences for sure when you do things this way. And even if you go back over it multiple passes then its really deeply engraved in certain areas versus the other ones.
Thoughts?

Also this became a real challenge the other day when I was trying to do a box for my wife and I tried to use the masking tape trick to prevent burn marks. (I should have just stained it and sealed it then engraved that way I could have easily just wiped the surface clean with cleaner. When I used the masking tape full power on my 2.5W it never even managed to burn through the tape on longer lines infact only in the areas that were shorter runs on the edges did it even burn through. I was very disappointed and wished I had more power behind that sucker. I even tried slowing it way way down and it just wasnt enough heat to burn through the tape in most cases. I was also thinking about getting and using paper transfer tape but I fear that I would run into the exact same issue unless for some reason its not quiet as thick as the masking tape and would manage to get a clean burn through.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Notice hotter burning but its probably physics
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 07:05:16 AM »
Getting deeper cuts on short lines may be related to the acceleration setting. I found (and others here have noted) that by setting the acceleration high you can then adjust the "normal" rate. Also added the air pump which greatly cut down on flames at slow speed high burn settings.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Notice hotter burning but its probably physics
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 08:20:00 AM »
I added more options in 1.3b that may help, and actually thought about adding that as an option but figured no one would like the longer engraving time. It also allows the laser time to cool which can help in some circumstances.

It should be a simple change from bi-directional to single left to right only engraving, so I will add it to the list for the next update.