Author Topic: SiXYLaser  (Read 31194 times)

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: SigaLaser
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2016, 05:05:36 AM »
Typical engraving speed is 2000~3000 mm/minute with my 2500mW laser.

You are right, once you add cable ways (drag chains) it may change so the total system is what matters and it sounds like you have that in mind so I will wait to see the complete concept.

ROSS

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2016, 05:18:49 AM »
Ref the cable "drag".  I have seen somewhere, a gadget OVER  the central part of the bed, elevated, holding the cables clear.  It might aid this project by allowing the cables to just move backward and forward/sideways  from a suspended position thus minimising drag.....Just my cents worth idea.....

« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 05:24:13 AM by ROSS »
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

Pawpawpaw85

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2016, 06:01:51 AM »
...so I will wait to see the complete concept.

Please do continue to ask questions and add comments and suggestions; I very my appreciate it as I may be wrong in the way how things work and it will make me think a few times more :)

For example, I do agree that the weight should be centered vertically to start with -> If then it's causing issues, I can move the rods further down, instead of anticipating rotational things due to cables that may not even occur and add complexity to the whole system.

Ross; If I cant get the cable chains to work properly with the core xy gantry system I will for sure take a closer look at something like that :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 06:02:24 AM by Pawpawpaw85 »

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2016, 09:49:58 AM »
I think you will only need the 12mm in Y, if you need them. You have two rods for X already so you should see less droop there anyway.
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw
Printrbot Play. Ext bed, integrated tablet control.
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA

Pawpawpaw85

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2016, 12:39:46 PM »
I think you will only need the 12mm in Y, if you need them. You have two rods for X already so you should see less droop there anyway.

The Y-axis also has two rods, but then again, Y-axis is carrying the weight of x-axis rods as well.

I've worked a bit more on an idea on how to align working pieces. (Using two line-lasers)
Do you think this will work? I've had a lot of trouble aligning parts and having to waste material previously when making things.

Also lowered the center of weight a bit more.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 01:22:57 PM by Pawpawpaw85 »

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2016, 01:39:52 PM »
I think a couple of line lasers are a great idea. A single with a cross in one corner might work also.

I have homing switches on mine and align at 0,0 works for my A5 sized machine. For bigger pieces the alignment lasers are a good idea.

The design looks like it is coming right along. Good work!
Richard
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA

Pawpawpaw85

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2016, 10:48:42 PM »
I think a couple of line lasers are a great idea. A single with a cross in one corner might work also.
I have homing switches on mine and align at 0,0 works for my A5 sized machine. For bigger pieces the alignment lasers are a good idea.

I thought a single cross would work, but when I made the "laser lines" visible, I could see that while it's easy to get the X-direction wide, the Y-direction would be much too narrow to be able to align the working piece. I've already changed the design so that instead of permanent positions for line lasers, instead it will have positions for screws, making universal attachment points at the lower end so that the user can attach whatever they want, but will make an accessory that will hold the line lasers.

I did try attaching home switches to my L7 board (3-axis with homing switches input) but never got it to work properly, but since you've succeeded at least I now know it's not impossible :)

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2016, 11:13:09 PM »
Its all settings in the firmware, grbl. The L6 and L8 boards have the limits tied to D9, not different pins. It is pretty easy to set it up and compile it.

From; config.h;
#define HOMING_CYCLE_0 (1<<Z_AXIS)                // REQUIRED: First move Z to clear workspace.
#define HOMING_CYCLE_1 ((1<<X_AXIS)|(1<<Y_AXIS))  // OPTIONAL: Then move X,Y at the same time.

To;
// #define HOMING_CYCLE_0 (1<<Z_AXIS)                // REQUIRED: First move Z to clear workspace.
#define HOMING_CYCLE_0 (1<<X_AXIS)  // OPTIONAL: Then move X,Y at the same time.
#define HOMING_CYCLE_1 (1<<Y_AXIS) // OPTIONAL: Uncomment and add axes mask to enable

I also comment out
#define HOMING_INIT_LOCK // Comment to disable
// #define HOMING_INIT_LOCK // Comment to disable

this homes each axis separately so the single pin system works.

I used a single pin for both axis so I also had to change cpu_map_atmega328p.h in the cpu map folder.
#define X_LIMIT_BIT      1  // Uno Digital Pin 9
#define Y_LIMIT_BIT      1  // Uno Digital Pin 9 was pin 10

You have to comment out Z unless you have a switch for it. You have to separate X and Y (in config.h)and you have to set them both to the same pin D9 which is limit bit 1 (cpu_mapatmega328p.h) Then you have to change $22=0 to $22=1 in EEPROM.
Richard
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2016, 04:36:24 AM »
 ;D more lasers... sure!

I would definitely agree with home switches, but my CO2 has both and the red dot aligned to the beam is really nice.

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2016, 09:10:58 AM »
The home switches are nice if you are going to always locate the work at origin. But that might not always be what is needed. Of course you can home then set an offset from origin. But neither BCL or T2 have a setting for that, that I know of. You can manually do it with either. And those lasers make manual setup easy. But entering an offset from origin, then having the gcode figured from there would be better, repeatable if you are doing more than one.

In T2 you could home then use the manual jog to position, then set home position. In BCL I talked @Ralph into hiding reset home when home switches are being used, that may not have been a good idea after all. It works fine for small machines but might not be the best for the A3 and larger. You can set the offset when you draw the object up also. There are drawbacks to that.

The lasers give a visual reference to being in the right place.
Richard
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA

Pawpawpaw85

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2016, 10:36:30 AM »
Sorry to report that I've come to a dead end when it comes to using belts in same layer at carriage; The separator I invented sadly puts a small force on the idler pulleys that I didnt expect in the beginning that I know is not good for the bearings, it will decrease the lifetime quite a bit and most likely affect precision quite a bit.
While it is possible to adjust the angle of more bearings to eliminate this force, it will also affect precision depending on where on the gantry the carriage is located, for a 3D printer it likely wouldn't be much noticeable but for a laser where one wants to do several cutting loops its a no-go.

I have to redo the whole thing and use separate layers for the belts instead, and I have no clue right now of a good way to attach it to the carriage without blocking the potential for an air assist.
Have lots to figure out now!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 09:34:12 PM by Pawpawpaw85 »

Pawpawpaw85

• View Profile
Re: SiXYLaser
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2016, 03:14:10 PM »
Started making a new X-carriage for the laser; belts mounted in the center and hopefully a good way to fasten the belts to it.
Rod distance is increased; less lasing area, but more stable carriage and allows airflow around the module.

Will have to work on the Y-carriages later when I get this part preliminary done.

What do you guys think, have I forgotten about something important?

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2016, 07:43:23 PM »
Looks good!

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2016, 05:25:52 AM »
It looks great, but I'm still having a hard time accepting you couldn't get it to work on a single plane - that was such an ingenious design.

Pawpawpaw85

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2016, 07:19:56 AM »
It looks great, but I'm still having a hard time accepting you couldn't get it to work on a single plane - that was such an ingenious design.

Zax, it can work for sure, but I found a commercial 3D printer (cant remember the name now) that whiles not having it on the same plane, had idlers with the same upward/downward force;
And users were having a lot of issues with uneven prints due to artifacts created by the teeth riding on the sides of the idlers as well as worn out belts.
I may try it out again at a later point, but to start with I want to feel confident I have a solid solution for the gantry :)

That being said, I think this new solution will work great as well!

I 3D printed the carriage last night to check fit of the laser module and it fits great, as well as the bearings.

"Unfortunately" wont have time to work on it more today, going out to fly some Heli and Plane in potentially the last nice weather here in sweden this year.
But I will keep working on it soon again for sure :)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:21:02 AM by Pawpawpaw85 »