Author Topic: 5.5W laser PWM setup instructions  (Read 4818 times)

marcel54

• View Profile
Re: 5.5W laser PWM setup instructions
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 09:25:56 AM »
Does the cabling proposed by MarkB on the marked pine P work correctly to use the function(office) PWM of the laser?

le câblage proposé par MarkB sur le pin marqué P fonctionne-t-il correctement pour utiliser la fonction PWM du laser ?

marcel54

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 04:51:28 AM »
Is the connecting of a laser with exit TTL possible on the brooch P of the connector (card L7)?

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2016, 10:00:36 AM »
The 2-pin connector on the L7 controller labeled "Laser" is driven by the the power MOSFET at 12V. If you are asking if is ok to connect that signal to a 5V TTL laser control module I would say no. First the wrong voltage and second the direction is inverted. You can get the 5V PWM signal from the CPU pin, the 8/9 jumper under the Nano, the 6 pin programming reader on the Nano, or the 4-pin test header on the L7.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

marcel54

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 11:38:05 AM »
I want to connect this laser on a card(map) 5 or L7 (http://www.banggood.com/445nm-2000mW-2W-Blue-Laser-Module-For-DIY-Laser-Cutter-Engraver-p-1055244.html?rmmds=myorder).
For the PWM,  I link the white cable or the blue cable?

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 12:15:56 PM »
I have seen this page before and could not decode what they are selling. Almost no technical or usage info. Please post your results.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 02:21:29 PM »
http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,871.msg10146.html#msg10146

That laser works great, it's the one I recommend for a low cost PWM solution. It has a very linear response and seems to burn better than my 2500mW, perhaps a better driver.

The PWM signal goes to the pin near the pot, the other is ground which isn't required as you can see from my hook-up.

Duivleo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2016, 06:33:02 AM »
Hi guys,

First of all: I am new at all this, i.e. Laser Engraving and Arduino-Nano.

I have questions related to setting up a 5.5W Laser ex-Banggood, which I bought in order to change my CNC-router into a Laser-engraver.
I have a Woodpecker CNC V2 Board for a Nano, 3 Steppers, 24V Spindle and 12V Laser. It is running using GRBL v0.9i.
I do not have the jumpers (No need, as I run v0.9 only), but, I also do not have the Yellow-4-Pin header.
I can PWM the 12V output and Spindle-motor port of the machine via the M3 Sxxxx G-code command. 
But when I connect the 5.5W Laser (including board mounted on top) to the 12 v outlet, I see no effect from PWM.  I will have to switch manually from Weak to strong using the small switch on the Laser and then the laser gets full power. (Board is buffering the PWM away?)
So, I have been thinking. (Dangerous !!): Can I connect the PWM-pin of the Nano (Pin D11) to the TTL-point on the board of the Laser? (As detailed in attached rough sketch.)?
I believe that the TTL-point needs to receive a 5V signal in order to switch on?

I hope that anyone can help me. I have this wonderful Laser. (It cuts through 4 mm Pine-wood in one pass at 300 mm/min. But, of course is at this strength not suitable for engraving, especially between characters it looks messy.)

With best regards,
Leo

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2016, 06:46:30 AM »
Hi Leo, welcome to the forum!

That's a nice setup you've got.

Yes you should be able to do that, I've seen people recommend removing C17 as that prevents PWM but you could try with it "as is" and if it's smoothing the waveform just remove it.

Let us know how it works out.

Duivleo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2016, 07:27:10 AM »
Thanks Zax for your reply.

I will try it, as is and let you all know.

With best regards,
Leo

tmas

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2016, 05:40:17 AM »
Thanks Zax for your reply.

I will try it, as is and let you all know.

With best regards,
Leo

Any results yet? Greetings from a fellow Dutchman with the same laser & issue :)

ameersh

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2017, 10:48:42 AM »
I'v put together a quick PDF of my setup. Please have a look and if you feel anything is missing (or it just doesn't make sense) let me know

Hi MarkB

I applied the mod and flashed the board with Grbl 0.9i as instructed in the PDF.

The machine seems to move fine and the laser starts and stops correctly but the problem im facing now that the laser is not working in full power, it just turns on the low beam without any cutting or engraving.

I attached some photos and here is a video link: https://youtu.be/C2XQ8ojxcEc

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2017, 10:57:11 AM »
Use Grbl 1.1e or set the software to match your firmware laser max value (I would suggest using 255 as that's the default and resolution of the Nano PWM output).

ameersh

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2017, 11:53:48 AM »
I set the power to 255 in the software but all the same. I'll try Grbl 1.1e and let you know the result

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2017, 12:08:21 PM »
you missed a step.  you have the laser connected to the laser output.  Connect it to the fan output.   It is 12volt constant on.  The ttl wire you wired in turns the laser on and off so the modulating laser output is no longer helpful. you need steady 12volt.
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

ameersh

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2017, 12:31:22 PM »
Zax: I flashed the board with 1.1e nothing changed, the only thing that worked that in T2Laser there is an option after i send the GCode i can increase the power more than 100% so once i sent the code i increased it to 200% then it started to burn and i could be able to make a test burn. In this case the problem seems that the laser isn't getting the right power signal from the software.

In BenCutLaser I can't go more than 100% so i couldn't make a real burn!

nottingham82: Thanks for the note i connected it to the 12v output. but the problem remain!