Author Topic: Engraver alignment  (Read 572 times)

jbrasfield

• View Profile
Engraver alignment
« on: September 12, 2016, 08:48:51 PM »
For anyone interested. I bought the gearbest 2.5 watt laser for engraving on leather.  I haven't really had any problems with the laser or using benbox (yeah, right). But I finally got it all working. My problem was aligning my print on the leather. I played around with several ideas and came up with this. I bought 2 line lasers from Harbour Freight and since I also have a small 3d printer I printed 2 holders so I could actually have a visible line on my project. critiques and comments please. I'm going to post the stl files on tinkercad in a day or so if anyone wants. The box I did as 2 separate burns so I could look at the results.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Engraver alignment
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 09:00:47 PM »
Sounds like a great idea. Is the procedure to align the leather with the alignment beams and then jog the machine to a known position? Or do you have two laser detectors on the carriage with beam detectors and let the software find the mark? 
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

jbrasfield

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 09:18:22 PM »
I have the beams set for 0 y and 60 x. When I import a pic I scale it and move the center of the resized pic to center on 60. So far it seems to work.

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 11:22:11 AM »
That is a really neat idea, thank you for sharing that with us.

BrassEngine

• View Profile
    • Brass Engine Creations
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 11:39:21 AM »
I would be very interested in a link to the stl files for printing my own. This is a great mod and I etch on leather too.

I searched harbor freight online and didn't see the line lasers, but I'm assuming they have them. Do you remember where they had them in the store?

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Pilot Instructor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 12:05:44 PM »
Welcome to the forum Brass...!!!
Ralph--Admin -- support_BenCutLaser_us
http://www.BenCutLaser.us/BenCutLaserSetup1.8.1r.exe.zip
http://www.BenCutLaser.us/BCLVirtualLaserMachineSetup1.8.1.exe.zip
BCL Paid license: $39.95
VLM Paid license: $19.95 (stand alone version)
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 12:10:03 PM »
I like it, my CO2 has a visible laser (pointer) for alignment and it's really nice.

BrassEngine

• View Profile
    • Brass Engine Creations
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 12:18:46 PM »
I used to have access to a CO2 laser at the university where I teach, but sadly no longer. So, while waiting on my Glowforge, I decided to try my hand at a cheaper diy build so I can keep etching. Of course, now I miss the laser alignment, the z-axis movement for focus, and the hex bed for easy material placement.

I came here to see what others have done for mods, and I am excited to see others in the diy community looking to improve the bare bones build.

Hippie With A Cowboy Hat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 04:24:18 PM »
What am I missing?  Place low light on material center, print from center.

Seriously neat looking, but was it needed for something Im not understanding correctly?
Am I the only one who can't sleep, wondering why John Wayne walked that way?

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 04:38:54 PM »
He used it to make sure his piece was square to the laser rails. Unless you use a circular piece it needs to be centered and square. You can use a grid to do this too.
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

Hippie With A Cowboy Hat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 04:55:44 PM »
OK, thanks for clarifying.  I guess at my age, I just tend to think in simpler terms.  The grid is fool proof, additional lasers can ger knocked around.

Mind you, I am not bashing at all, seems to serve his purpose, and frankly cool as hell, but in my mind, its another point of possible failure.

Gotta give big credit to anyone who comes up with this kind of idea, and sees it through to production and a working model.  It the kind of mind that powers industry, so hats off young man !

-Damn Hippie

Am I the only one who can't sleep, wondering why John Wayne walked that way?