Author Topic: Engraver alignment  (Read 449 times)

jbrasfield

• View Profile
Engraver alignment
« on: September 12, 2016, 08:48:51 PM »
For anyone interested. I bought the gearbest 2.5 watt laser for engraving on leather.  I haven't really had any problems with the laser or using benbox (yeah, right). But I finally got it all working. My problem was aligning my print on the leather. I played around with several ideas and came up with this. I bought 2 line lasers from Harbour Freight and since I also have a small 3d printer I printed 2 holders so I could actually have a visible line on my project. critiques and comments please. I'm going to post the stl files on tinkercad in a day or so if anyone wants. The box I did as 2 separate burns so I could look at the results.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Engraver alignment
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 09:00:47 PM »
Sounds like a great idea. Is the procedure to align the leather with the alignment beams and then jog the machine to a known position? Or do you have two laser detectors on the carriage with beam detectors and let the software find the mark? 
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

jbrasfield

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 09:18:22 PM »
I have the beams set for 0 y and 60 x. When I import a pic I scale it and move the center of the resized pic to center on 60. So far it seems to work.

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 11:22:11 AM »
That is a really neat idea, thank you for sharing that with us.

BrassEngine

• View Profile
    • Brass Engine Creations
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 11:39:21 AM »
I would be very interested in a link to the stl files for printing my own. This is a great mod and I etch on leather too.

I searched harbor freight online and didn't see the line lasers, but I'm assuming they have them. Do you remember where they had them in the store?

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Pilot Instructor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 12:05:44 PM »
Welcome to the forum Brass...!!!

Zax

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 12:10:03 PM »
I like it, my CO2 has a visible laser (pointer) for alignment and it's really nice.

BrassEngine

• View Profile
    • Brass Engine Creations
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 12:18:46 PM »
I used to have access to a CO2 laser at the university where I teach, but sadly no longer. So, while waiting on my Glowforge, I decided to try my hand at a cheaper diy build so I can keep etching. Of course, now I miss the laser alignment, the z-axis movement for focus, and the hex bed for easy material placement.

I came here to see what others have done for mods, and I am excited to see others in the diy community looking to improve the bare bones build.