Author Topic: How to wire the stepper motors from ACRO system to CNC chield  (Read 256 times)

InvisibleRasta

• View Profile
How to wire the stepper motors from ACRO system to CNC chield
« on: October 15, 2018, 07:10:39 AM »
hello guys i just bought an acro system, it came with all the manuals but no information on how to connect the stepper motors. all motors have 4 wires and i do not know how to connect them. anyone can help me

InvisibleRasta

• View Profile
Re: How to wire the stepper motors from ACRO system to CNC chield
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 07:21:52 AM »
also i am not sure on how to wire everything else.. cant fidn any explanation, it came without manual.
the laser module i got is from aliexpress and it came with this pieces you see in picture.

The laser module comes with some kind of jack out and it also have a small TTL connector. how do i connect this parts?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 07:57:24 AM »
On the motors, first determine which wires make the coil pairs. They may be marked on the motors, if not an ohm meter will quickly determine it.

You will have 2 coils, let's call them A and B. Then on the driver you'll see the A+ and A- / B+ and B- outputs, it doesn't matter which way you hook these up or to which pair - all that is important is that the coils are placed across the A or B outputs.

For the laser, that connector should be a 5.5mm dc jack and likely 12V input to the laser driver. Usually you would connect the TTL + / GND to your controller, but the CNC shield is old and I believe it uses D12 for the "spindle" which doesn't support PWM (TTL). You can use the Z-axis limit switch pin as that's D11 which on the later firmware is the "spindle" PWM/TTL output.

InvisibleRasta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 08:42:48 AM »
There is nothing on the motors to determine. How do i measure to see how to connect?
Also my cnc shield doesnt show any a or b letter
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 08:43:47 AM by InvisibleRasta »

InvisibleRasta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 08:57:48 AM »
so with the tester if i get a ohm value between two cambles it means i got a+ and a- right?

Do i have to connect the two y motors together and then attach them to the cnc or does the cnc shield have 8 cable input for the two motors?
or can i connect the scond Y axis motor on the Z of the cnc shield and make the Z and Y work together
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 09:38:25 AM by InvisibleRasta »

InvisibleRasta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 09:11:52 AM »
On the motors, first determine which wires make the coil pairs. They may be marked on the motors, if not an ohm meter will quickly determine it.

You will have 2 coils, let's call them A and B. Then on the driver you'll see the A+ and A- / B+ and B- outputs, it doesn't matter which way you hook these up or to which pair - all that is important is that the coils are placed across the A or B outputs.

For the laser, that connector should be a 5.5mm dc jack and likely 12V input to the laser driver. Usually you would connect the TTL + / GND to your controller, but the CNC shield is old and I believe it uses D12 for the "spindle" which doesn't support PWM (TTL). You can use the Z-axis limit switch pin as that's D11 which on the later firmware is the "spindle" PWM/TTL output.

i do not see a d11 option on my cnc. i have d12 and d13. which is the limit switch?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 09:42:18 AM »
Yes, if you have resistance (low) between the 2 wires you have a pair.

The 2 Y-axis motors will each have their own driver, but the step/direction inputs would be connected in parallel.

I think the header near the power input is the limits, but I don't have one of these boards so not certain.

Why are you using one of these old CNC Shields instead of an Eleks board (or similar)?

InvisibleRasta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 10:00:03 AM »
i dont know. i am first time building this i didnt have any clue. peopel here suggested me a cnc shield so thats what i got. sorry but where do i connect the motors when i fidn resistance between two cables?

InvisibleRasta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 10:14:38 AM »
On what pins i am supposed to connect the stepper motor? I trying to connect one motor and try to move it with t2laser but nothing moves.
do i have to power the cnc shield or does it get powered by the arduino attached to it?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 10:22:27 AM by InvisibleRasta »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 11:36:23 AM »
You need to power the shield, currently there's no power going to the motor drivers.

InvisibleRasta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 11:52:56 AM »
i see, i tought it was powered by the arduino. will a 12V 3A power supply be enought for laser + motors? or should i get a separate one?
how do i make one axis slave of the other on the cnc board? i think i have to put a jumper somewhere right

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 02:00:20 PM »
That depends on your laser power, 3A would be OK for a 1600mW but above that I would go with a 5A (although for testing it will be fine).

You will connect the 2nd Y motor step / direction inputs to the primary Y axis. So itís a slave, however itís important that you make the motor run in the opposite direction so they arenít fighting each other, you do this by swapping the A and B pairs.