Author Topic: JTICE - My Engravings  (Read 7266 times)

jtice

• View Profile
    • www.jtice.com
JTICE - My Engravings
« on: September 23, 2016, 08:57:16 AM »
Thought I would make a post that I can update over time with my engravings.
Ebay 5.5W 450nm 500mm x 650mm with T2Laser Software
Just for this engraver a couple days ago, but already loving it. Still alot of adjustments and learning to do though.
I would like to get alot more contrast and darkness to the engravings that are converted from photos. Not sure how to achieve that yet.
Any advice and opinions are always welcome.

Here is my Photo Gallery for the engraver,  that I will add photos to over time.
https://jtice.smugmug.com/Laser-Engraver

Here are some things I have made so far...

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: JTICE - My Engravings
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 09:07:37 AM »
Wow!!!

Those are impressive, really fantastic work.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 09:27:14 AM »
Awesome...!!!
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/44x9lota2l3ub4t/SetupBenCutLaser3.1h.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 09:28:57 AM »
Wow! that is really impressive work there. It reminds me of some stuff I saw over here http://picengrave.com/. Its impressive what can be done with these machines.

TBN

• View Profile
    • Traditional By Nature
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 11:32:17 AM »
Very nice!!!
500mw A5 Mini Laser Engraving Machine from GearBest

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 12:01:50 PM »
These look awesome no matter how much experience you have, but this quality after just 2 days... outstanding!

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 12:10:02 PM »
2 days? Did you even sleep? Lol.

jtice

• View Profile
    • www.jtice.com
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 07:29:38 AM »
Thanks guys.
I guess I should say, thats from a couple days of it being up and running. ;)
Still have alot to learn and want to get a few things working better, but so far I am loving it.
I am also very impressed with the accuracy that this thing can do. I was concerned that buying suck a large unit would have too much flex, guess not.

I did my first cuts last night also. This was 2 passes at full power at 100 feed rate. I think it could do it at a slightly faster rate also.
2.5mm thick Hobby Lobby Wood

ROSS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 07:54:15 AM »
Excellent work..Guess the house must be full of smoke now!!
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 08:05:13 AM »
Did you use Sketch Plus to raster and then vector cut or was it done as separate jobs?

jtice

• View Profile
    • www.jtice.com
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 03:34:54 PM »
I am still not 100% sure how to use the Sketch and Sketch Plus settings.
I had it engrave it first, then went back into the program and did the trace image tool, to make it trace the outer edge of the image, then ran that outline as the 2 pass cutting operation.
Is that not how I should be doing this?

Also,,,,
If you look at the fairy I did above,
I ran that engraving, then went back into the program and used the trace tool to trace each segment,
then ran that as another job so it would just do all the outlines, which gives it a nice clean look.
Is there a way to just tell it to do that automatically? Or, is there at least a way to tell it to auto trace the entire image?
Took me a while to individually select all those segments, I would hate to have to do that to an image that had hunfreds of segments!

As for the smoke...
I have a dual 8" exhaust fan at the top of one of the windows, does a decent job if I keep the door to this room shut.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 03:36:07 PM by jtice »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 04:11:01 PM »
Sketch Plus will allow you to do both options as a single G-code file, just enable it in settings and set your multipass, then trace as you did and finally output. It will raster the image and then cut or outline.

The only limitation that makes the method you used superior is you can't set different power or speeds, but you can easily edit the G-code for the vector speed as it's a single value to change.

I originally had an auto-trace function but as with Corel and other programs it isn't always perfect, either some areas don't get completely traded or you get duplicates. Either way it doesn't work well with the laser, and most of the time you don't need all outlines. Maybe I can add it back as an option, although I hate having half baked solutions.

jtice

• View Profile
    • www.jtice.com
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 04:25:45 PM »
I can understand the auto trace all not working well, and you not wanting to put in a feature that doesnt work well.
May I suggest at least being able to hold shift and deselect an item? As it is now, if I am clicking the segments and get one I didnt meant to, I have to start all over.

Ideally, I need to just figure out a nice workflow, where I take an image in Inkscape and save one as the raster, and save another as just the outline, and run them separately.
Since Inkscape does a decent job of auto tracing, well, you can turn off fill, and tell it so just leave outer edges of any shape on the screen.

I actually tried this last night with some text, and it looks like a perfect outline in Inkscape, but...
When I save it as a DXF and import it intot T2Laser, it has some random added paths to it. Not sure what causing that.
I have a few other Qs and suggestions, I may email you later on with some screen captures to easily explain things, if you dont mind.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 04:32:22 PM by jtice »

jtice

• View Profile
    • www.jtice.com
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 04:50:16 PM »
Just ran a test...
I imported the VW image. Selected Sketch Plus and Sketch Fill, then used the trace tool to trace the inner segments, then told it to generate g-code.
Ran that, which rastered the VW logo, then it ran a single trace path on those inner segments. Which gave them a nice look, makes them more crisp, and they pop more.
Then I went back into the program, turned off the Sketch options. Used the trace tool to do just the outer trace, set it to 2x multi pass, etc. Then ran that, which cut the logo out.
Not bad really, just have to do things in a few steps. This seems to work for simple images like this, but not complicated ones.
Here is a pic of the result, the 2 passes werent quiiiiiite enough to cut out completely, but other than that, it seemed to work out fine.

jtice

• View Profile
    • www.jtice.com
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 04:52:23 PM »
And the other two I did today.