Author Topic: Tilt head  (Read 606 times)

Sailbadthesinner

• View Profile
Tilt head
« on: September 25, 2016, 08:18:54 AM »

Has anyone tried making a tilt-x, tilt-y head to allow cutting at an angle to the material?
I have in mind the ability to make V cuts and produce countersunk holes.

Your thoughts?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Tilt head
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 08:32:32 AM »
Interesting idea, I'm not sure that's going to be easy to implement either hardware or software.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 08:56:05 AM »
Might be something that could be done with a mirror.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 09:35:44 AM »
That would take mounting the laser module on a gimbal. Either manual or through program control. That would take a more advanced controller and software than we have so far. If you are talking round holes then it would have to be under software control. That would require at least 4axis work.

Also depending on the angle you would be increasing the depth you have to cut. At a 45 degree angle in 3mm stock you would be cutting effectively a 6mm depth. At 22.5 degrees you would be cutting 4.5mm. And the bottom edge of the hole might burn out due to the thinness from the bevel. 6mm is pretty deep for these lasers especially without refocusing or lowering height. To do that you would be at 5 axis.

An avenue to look at might be 3d contouring through software. You would have to have either TTL or PWM for finer control.

Start at the inner diameter. And cut all the way through. Then go to outer diameter and cut decreasing circles a little deeper. BenCutLaser has different colored lines for different power levels. Eventually you would have some of the inner ones need multiple passes.
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw

Experimenting with Mega2560 board upgrade

Sailbadthesinner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 09:58:49 AM »
Richard,

I was thinking in terms of a pitch and roll mirror rather than moving the whole laser head.
But it would add another 2 or 3 axis control and a rather tortuous bit of software to calculate the point that the beam would intersect the plane of the work piece. (That's why I was hoping someone else would have done it already).

I need to take issue with your maths:
at 45 degrees the effective thickness is √2 t   i.e. for 3mm material 1.41 x 3mm = 4.2mm
at 22.5 degrees:   t / COS (α) = 3mm/ COS(22.5)  = 3 / 0.924 = 3.2mm

This is all completely irrelevant as the idea of 3D contouring is so much simpler.
A group of stacked circles of increasing diameter will do the countersunk holes and a group of stacked lines of increasing width will do the v cuts.

Thank you for saving me from a world of pain developing the hard solution to an easy problem!

Dave.

Grant me the serenity to accept my mistakes, the courage to admit them and the wisdom to copy someone else  ;D

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 10:34:15 AM »
Not a math major. Going from figures for ballistic penetration of armor plate, relative thickness. Reflected energy is part of that. Remember that the material will always have some reflectance which will reduce the lasers effectiveness. Factors that are often forgotten as we usually engrave and cut at right angles.

Problem #1 None of our boards are more than 4 axis.
Problem #2 No software available, at our level, for 5 axis or more work.

But as you said irrelevant.

Setting up 3 dimensional contouring will be easier and should work after the bugs are worked out.
Richard

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Pilot Instructor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 10:35:07 AM »
>This is all completely irrelevant as the idea of 3D contouring is so much simpler.
>A group of stacked circles of increasing diameter will do the countersunk holes and a group of stacked lines of increasing width will
>do the v cuts.

In theory, this sounds like it would work fine using BCL -- but -- you should test it out and see if it actually would work that way. We'd be all interested in hearing of your results.

I don't have a clear picture in my head of what your circles and lines would look like in your CAD drawing, but when you create them, if you could post the .dxf file here, I'd like to see what they looks like.

Thanks Dave...
Ralph--Admin -- support_BenCutLaser_us
http://www.BenCutLaser.us/BenCutLaserSetup1.8.3a.exe.zip
http://www.BenCutLaser.us/BCLVirtualLaserMachineSetup1.8.2.exe.zip
BCL Paid license: $39.95
VLM Paid license: $19.95 (stand alone version)
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

Yoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 05:20:05 AM »
I do not think it is feasible to remove that much material with the laser. Cutting a thin line is one thing but burning away a broad are of the material would be much harder. Also I do not think you can precisely control the depth of your cut.

Also focusing will be a problem if you want to cut anything apart from a straight line.

A CNC mill is much better suited for that.

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 09:14:12 AM »
A drill with a counter sink or a router would be better! But life without challenges is boring.

I do not think he expected all of the material to be completely removed. More like it is precut and a quick swipe with a knife and it would be ready to accept a screw. With PWM control of intensity and some trial and error you probably can get a decent "control" to make this work. Remember that when you cut a series off parallel lines the material to each side is going to receive additional burn.

Overall I think it can be done until it is proven it can't be done!
Richard