Author Topic: Installing T2Laser on my XP machine  (Read 4420 times)

distefanom

• View Profile
Re: Installing T2Laser on my XP machine
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2016, 07:24:35 AM »
No, the Language setting was automatic, I haven't changed it by hand.
Now I was trying to reprogram the board, but I lost the link where it was discussed in this blog.
Can you be so kind to link me to the page since I was unable to find it?
Furthermore,
is there the possibility to "roll back" things and reuse the benbox software, with the software inside arduino nano, just in case I get stuck for some strange reason?
ciao
Mario
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 07:27:55 AM by distefanom »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2016, 08:49:39 AM »
You can follow the conversion document in my signature, here's the link.
http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,41.msg272.html#msg272

To use Benbox again you just need to flash their firmware back to the Nano, and change the laser pin in the settings or move the jumper back.

It's easy to swap between them.

distefanom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2016, 03:52:08 AM »
Ciao Zax! Have a nice Sunday!
I tried to upload default values, but have been unsuccessful.
Here's what's happened:
After sending the default parameters, strangely, I need to do it TWICE ( :o) for some unknown reason; see the enclosed picture I get.
Then I tried move the laser to see what happens.. I got mirrored X & Y, and when I try to move using the arrows, I get GIGANTIC step movements in X and very tiny movements in Y axis.
So I tried to modify the parameters, since my machine, is home built using off the shelf pieces.
I have calculated (and these values where working correctly using BENBOX) :
X: 284.63 steps/mm
Y: 1519.83 steps/mm
using the original GRBL software I tried to modify these parameters with the commands:
$100= 284.63
$101= 1519.83
Then after, I rerun the T2 software, the parameters where correctly there, BUT nothing changed at all.
To be honest, I don't know the GRBL software very well, but I was thinking that a "guide" for the correct setup would be worth doing it, for the more public acceptance...
Anyway it's only a hint, & maybe, you already discussed it somewhere else.
ciao.
Mario
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 03:53:52 AM by distefanom »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2016, 04:28:28 AM »
OK, so if you have a home brew then you wouldn't use the default parameters. Those are for the standard machines and meant to be a starting point.

Load the J-Tech firmware (which is Grbl 0.9j) and then manually update the parameters. You could load my defaults first to give you a starting point but will have to manually update $100 and $101 as you did. Just a comment, if those values are correct (?) your machine is going to be slow - you may want to consider changing the microstep setting, maybe 1/8 on the X and 1/2 on the Y.

Also change $3=3 to invert both axis.

distefanom

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2016, 12:06:13 PM »
Ciao Zax!
I tried as you written, this is what happens:

1) regardless to the values I put in GRBL ($100 & $101 parameters), when I move the arrows the machine moves always the same quantity. No way to let it change behaviour.
2) The very same thing happens with $3 parameter, arrows will not change direction, even if I put "0" or "3"
3) Microstepping is not allowed on the Eleks board since there's no jumper I could set. The M1,M2 & M3 signals are all floating (sure put to logic "1")
4) A final question, is in the image in my previous email, I don't understand I have to reprogram default values, TWICE, (this evening also three times...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 12:13:08 PM by distefanom »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2016, 02:04:23 PM »
#4) This is most important, you can't use the T2Laser defaults as you don't have a standard machine. This is why you aren't seeing any changes after correctly setting the Grbl parameters, they are being overwritten when you do this step. Install J-Tech firmware and set your own Grbl values.

#3) I know there aren't any switches for microstepping on the Eleks boards but you could modify it easily.

#2 and #1) Fixed if you skip the default parameter upload.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2016, 02:53:06 PM »
Micro stepping on the Eleks boards is hardwired to +5V, not floating. Seems to me to be a really good location to have a jumper or CPU I/O pin.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Scimitar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2016, 12:54:25 AM »
Another new user with a machine challenge!

Here is the story.
I recently (two weeks ago) received the A3 2.5W Banggood kit and have finally got around to assembling it.

Having done quite a bit of reading on this forum in particular, I decided to go with the T2 software and was really pleased to see that there is a version of your software for a Win XP OS, as I have an old XP machine lying around which I am able to use for the Laser. (Hence posting in this thread)

I followed the Conversion 2 document and this is where the fun started!

Initially I was not able to see the Arduino Nano at all - the controler (Eleks Maker L7) appears to power up fine and the low power laser switch works correctly.
After trawling around the net I stumbled upon a youtube link explaining that some of the Arduino clones have a "CH340G" communications chip which is not recognised by the computer OS. This is the chip (under the Nano board) which is on my Eleks L7.
The good news is that I was able to download a driver installer - attached in case someone else needs it!

Once installed, I was able to see the controller as a COM port - Progress!

I was then able to load Firmware. I tried the T2 firmware by following the instructions in the "Conversion 2" document. It appears to load correctly in the windows terminal window with the Rx and Tx leds flashing on the controller.

But that is where I have hit a wall - I am not able to load the parameters correctly -

I am at this stage not able to control the machine at all from T2 - no movement of the motors and not able to switch on the laser.

I then tried loading other firmware using Xloader.

I have tried
   LX-Nano.328p.20150626.hex
   jtech_grbl.hex

I would really appreciate some advise from the learned people on this forum.

Scimitar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2016, 01:39:07 AM »
One more update :-

When I connect to the laser using the T2 Laser controller page, It displays "Connected" but does not display "Grbl Ready"

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2016, 04:31:40 AM »
If you don't see the Grbl Ready message you have not connected to the firmware.

When you use XLoader and the J-Tech firmware, what happens?

Does it upload successfully?

If so, you should be able to connect. Make sure you are using the right COM port, in T2Laser you can right click the red button to disconnect and then check the COM port setting and try to connect again.

Scimitar

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2016, 12:27:34 PM »
Hi Zax

So, the plot thikens!

I decided to backtrack a bit, just to eliminate a couple of things. I installed the Benbox software and re-installed the original firmware. By doing this, I have been able to get the machine running - both stepper axes run correctly and I have full control (to the extent that their cluncky software permits) over the laser. I have been able to burn a number of tests without any problems.

I think that this confirms that I am successfully uploading the firmware - I suspect that the issue is that I am not able to communicate reliably with the controller after the firmware upload. This would affect the parameter upload. (I am definitely using the correct com port and I am able to re-connect using the methods which you describe in T2 software. Both XLoader and T2 appear to successfully upload firmware. The final step of the "Conversion 2" process does however not complete. T2 attempts to load the default parameters when cntrl  clicking the G-Code button, but then freezes. The rx and tx lights on the micro also do not flash.

I  decided to pick up an original Arduino Nano 3 today and will give that a try in the next couple of hours. I am not unhappy with this approach as it means that I could quickly change between two different firmware setups, assuming of course that I can get the J-Tech firmware to run on the genuine (non-clone) Arduino.

I will post an update as soon as I have one.

Much obliged for your assistance.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2016, 12:30:38 PM »
When you have Benbox firmware running can you connect with T2Laser and make it do something?

It should work, obviously you don't try to load parameters as it uses the ones you set in Benbox but otherwise it should run OK.

Scimitar

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2016, 02:06:55 PM »
Ok - Latest Update

Unfortunately the genuine Arduino made no difference - or maybe that is fortunate, at least it is consistent!

I am still able to upload the firmware varieties and I am still able to run the Benbox software with full control. Unfortunately, I am not able to get T2 to control anything, with either of the firmware versions. T2 still says "Connected" but does not display "Grbl Ready".

I agree that I am failing to connect to the firmware with T2 - I am battling however to understand why, when I am able to upload the firmware successfully both with T2 and Xloader.

Perhaps I will need to bite the bullet and consider upgrading the computer to Windows 7 or higher :(

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2016, 03:17:24 PM »
That's very strange, I have no idea why you wouldn't be able to connect to the Benbox firmware.

Have you tried pressing the reset button (on the Nano) after connecting to the port with T2Laser to see if that causes the welcome string to appear?

Are there any settings in the XP driver perhaps? Maybe if you change the handshaking method.

Scimitar

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2016, 12:11:26 PM »
Hi Zax

Good News! After considerable digging and poking including un-installing and re-installing some software I am pleased to report that T2 is now up and running!

I am more than a little convinced that the underlying issue was related to the com port driver not switching the baud rate correctly. N.B. for anybody else reading this thread confirm baud rate settlings / alternatively try different baud rate setting if you are experiencing similar issues as described above.