Author Topic: Benbox zoom white screen of death  (Read 544 times)

Davec

• View Profile
Benbox zoom white screen of death
« on: October 02, 2016, 02:28:11 PM »
Hi all I am new to the low power laser scene last week my  eleks maker with 2.5 laser turned up  and I have been having a lot of fun with it  only tonight I had a play with some leather on it.  it has  been fun building it and messing about trying to get Ben box to work but smooth sailing until I tried a larger  project I opened my image in Ben box dragged it out to find the size I wanted and all of a sudden a white screen fills the Ben box window with a link in black text at top in Chinese and all I can do to close and re start is ctl alt del and seems to happen every time I hit the same sort size.   has this happened to any one else and is there a solution I downloaded Ben box from bang good I have since found out it contains mail ware from an article on here I am not sure what version of Ben box I am running at the moment I think it is 3.9.77 if that it the up to date one I am not sure  any help much appreciated Dave 

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Pilot Instructor
    • View Profile
Re: Benbox zoom white screen of death
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 02:36:47 PM »
Welcome to the forum Dave...!!!

Zax

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 04:22:32 PM »
Welcome Dave!

I believe that is "normal", you also probably don't want to do large images as Benbox doesn't have any setting to change the resolution so it takes a very long time.

Madmark

• Do NOT look into beam with remaining good eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 04:51:37 PM »
The laser DPI is 254 / in (0.1 mm). Size a bitmap image to 1016 pixels (4") max X/Y dimension and see.

M
GearBest A5 - 1600mW
LX-5 controller w/single MOSFET & GRBL jumper
Benbox 3.7.99
AutoCAD 2k .DXF
Ancient 2GB Dell Optiplex w/USB scanner

Davec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 11:24:12 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome I will give that a go madmark. So bangood and the other sites sorta imply that you can do something a3 size by selling the laser with that area when the software can not lol. Is there other software that might be able to ? I understand about the dpi I was hoping to use it to cut a3 size paper  shapes out   

Zax

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 04:35:45 AM »
You should consider DXF for cutting shapes, which means you need to trace the image first. That is essentially what Benbox does for the outline mode, just not very well.

Madmark

• Do NOT look into beam with remaining good eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 07:21:24 AM »
4" was just an example, the unit will lase the specified size.

M
GearBest A5 - 1600mW
LX-5 controller w/single MOSFET & GRBL jumper
Benbox 3.7.99
AutoCAD 2k .DXF
Ancient 2GB Dell Optiplex w/USB scanner

ThaJDJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 01:47:08 PM »
I have not been able to replicate that size for BMP files.  If I have a BMP image that is 1016 pixels (wide), saved at 254 DPI, import to BenBox (v3.7.99) and have it outline (or burn) the image the actual result is about 3/4 inch wide (Roughly 1.5 CM) I see no way to scale it up or down in BenBox, merely "zoom" (magnify).

Now when I convert the BMP from raster to vector (DFX) [currently using Potrace 1.13 64bit] I see this approximation.

Is this something I have incorrectly configured?

Davec

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 04:19:30 PM »
Just downloaded T2 looks very good not had time to use it yet will let you know how it go's

Zax

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 04:59:41 PM »
I appreciate you checking it out. Please let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions.

Davec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 02:28:57 PM »
hi zax

i have had a little play with t2 not really done much as do not very often get time to play lol. i was having issues with where "home" is as in is there a way to set a home point? and it did not seem to start in the same place. also did see the output size but they seemed to come out the same size i might not have saved it or something. its prob just me being a newbie as i said i have not had much time to play just thought i would get back to you.

all help much appreciated

davec   

Zax

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 04:37:13 PM »
You set the home point by right clicking the house icon, the job will align either to the lower left corner or the center depending on the settings.

If you turn on the information overlay you can see the sizes, or use the "view" to see what it will actually output.

Davec

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 02:29:46 AM »
thank you will have a look next time i am on it

dave c