Author Topic: Benbox - No do not write it off!  (Read 793 times)

carolynsdad

• View Profile
Benbox - No do not write it off!
« on: October 06, 2016, 11:17:02 PM »
Depending on what you want to achieve Benbox might be all you need as these results by my daughter show.

Her coloured work is on 4mm birch plywood coated with water-based fence stain (Cuprinol Shades); her customers are delighted.
Her settings were
Speed - 800
Time - 10
Scan by line
Continuous

I haven't asked her what settings she used on the keyring or hammers but I can find out if you are interested.

No reason why anyone else shouldn't get good results with Benbox.

Mike
2.5W BangGood laser kit in use by my daughter for craft work.

ROSS

• View Profile
Re: Benbox - No do not write it off!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 12:38:07 AM »
Very nice work.

Agree in certain respects about not writing off Benbox BUT, there are people who find it more of a chore to get a handle on than T2  or BCL if they don't have someone looking over their shoulder and guiding them.

Benbox  has no guidance/info  of how to crank the prog around whereas T2 and BCL does have a wealth of info and would be easier  for the  loner first timer to get the machine up and running.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 02:03:48 AM by ROSS »
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 04:35:49 AM »
Your daughter always shows fantastic work, but that comes from her design skills rather than the software. From a laser engraving perspective those are very simple, so I would certainly hope Benbox is capable.

The fact you can't make the window larger in Benbox, or that it won't work at all on a multi monitor setup were frustrating for me. Combined with the time it took to do a relatively small image or how it would outline both sides of a line when engraving were enough for me to ditch it and create T2Laser.

As you said, in some cases Benbox may be all people need, if they can even get it to work, but they won't be getting the most from their machine.

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 06:37:33 AM »
I understand the desire to work with free software and recently I have been playing with Laserweb3 which is a free and opensource browser based application. It gives you more control then Benbox when it comes to speed and resolution and best of all it also works with GRBL.

One of the things they are building into it is the ability to do raster and vector in the same job. This is working for some firmwares but not GRBL currently but should soon.

The other cool thing is that it works with dxf, svg, png, jpg, bmp, tap, stl, and gcode files.

It lacks a lot of the cool features that BCL and T2Laser have and is by no means a replacement for them.

carolynsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 11:32:11 PM »
It isn't a specific desire to work with free software; I can't get hold of my daughter's machine to update it and learn how to use the software then give her a teach-in due to distance. She says she is happy with what she has for now.  Here's a commission she had to portray a baby's ancestry on beech blocks. These were engraved with Benbox using Speed - 800, Time - 10, Scan by line, Continuous.

Mike

carolynsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 11:47:16 PM »
Here is another example; this time using a combination of laser engraving and a pyrogrpahy tool to stamp the edges which gives it more of a handmade look.  The one on left is plain but the one on the right is using the Cuprinol water-based wood fencing stain  to good effect (White Daisy colour in this case).  I don't know what the equivalent might be outside UK but Carolyn only gets the tester pots and says it goes a very long long way as it is quite thin and easy to apply; lots of colours to choose from too: http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/spray_and_brush/index.jsp

It would be good to see more of what poeple are actually making with their low-power laser engraver. Technology is great but not much point, except as a rich learning experience, unless it is being put to good use.

Mike

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 08:26:02 AM »
She definitely has it down pat. Really nice looking pieces!

mathyouw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 09:51:26 PM »
Everything your daughter makes looks fantastic! Just to make sure she is using an 800 speed and a 10 time with a 2.5 laser? Do her burns come out looking like this or does she sand everything after? Also does she have any helpful hints for this newbie?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 10:24:22 PM by mathyouw »

carolynsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 10:59:34 PM »
Everything your daughter makes looks fantastic! Just to make sure she is using an 800 speed and a 10 time with a 2.5 laser? Do her burns come out looking like this or does she sand everything after? Also does she have any helpful hints for this newbie?

Hi, no she doesn't sand anything as the dust contaminates the burn so you lose the blackness but she has found that a gentle wipe with a damp tissue to be effective at removing marks on some materials. She combines laser engraving with several of her other crafts and a couple of weeks ag was confident enough to go public with her work since being made redundant as a fabric design manager. She made a huge amount of product and showed her wares at craft fair; as a proud dad I am not afraid to show her work off and here is her fair stand https://www.facebook.com/www.carolscraftshandmade/photos/pcb.1948491582044650/1948491408711334/?type=3&theater