Author Topic: Trouble with text  (Read 219 times)

MarkB

• View Profile
Trouble with text
« on: October 07, 2016, 09:07:50 AM »
There is probably something I just have 'got' yet but I've been volunteered to engrave some gift card etc for Christmas. My problem is whatever font I use, it always ends up the same font when cutting/engraving. What have I missed?

I've tried Qcad (at least it displays the fonts as they should look) and LibreCad (guesswork required to 'see' the font)

I hope it's something simple I've missed and I can keep SWMBO happy :)
Benbox  5.5W A3 laser
RepRapPro Ormerod2 3D printer
HAH homeautomation http://www.homeautomationhub.com

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with text
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 09:10:49 AM »
Are you trying to do filled in text or just outlines?

MarkB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 09:44:22 AM »
I'm just going for outline at the moment but I should have watched the video tutorial. I just changed the font in BCL and 'hey presto'
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 11:49:54 AM by Administrator »
Benbox  5.5W A3 laser
RepRapPro Ormerod2 3D printer
HAH homeautomation http://www.homeautomationhub.com

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 10:29:37 AM »
Glad you got it figured out

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Pilot Instructor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 11:50:06 AM »
>I'm just going for outline at the moment but I should have watched the video tutorial. I just changed the font in BCL and 'hey presto'

I was going to ask you what software are you using.

When you are using BCL, it makes no difference what font you use in your CAD program, because once the .dxf file is loaded into BCL, the text objects will display in the default font on your PC.

Selecting the text in BCL will allow the Edit Text link to become available to click on and open the text dialog window where you can select any font in the font list. Any changes you make in this dialog window will get saved into your toolpath file, so you should create a toolpath file and save it. Then, in the future, you can click on the toolpathFILE link and load that font back into your text object.

A couple of notes:

1. Paul and I are going to be adding built-in Text creation capability into BCL. This means you will not have to use a CAD program to get text into your drawing canvas inside BCL. You will be able to add text directly onto the canvas while inside BCL. Sort of like a mini CAD program inside BCL but for text only.

2. BCL really does an outstanding job with text engraving. I know how that sounds for me to be saying that, but it really does. It is capable of doing some really amazing engraving work with Text objects.

UPDATE:

3. I will mention that Paul is going to look into adding Text Fill to BCL. We have not made a decision to add this to the official To Do list yet because there are some technical issues we need to look at. So, all I can say for now, is that it is on our radar and we will take a look to see if it can be done. No promises being made at this point.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 11:55:31 AM by Administrator »

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 01:07:16 PM »
Sounds really good! There are some really neat tools in BCL that you don't see anywhere else.