Author Topic: Small lightweight and cheap Z axis?  (Read 4234 times)

beikeland

Re: Small lightweight and cheap Z axis?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 05:38:08 AM »
Afaik with micro stepping it can microstep one step forward and microstep one step right back to where it came from - all that is hidden from Grbl it just sends step/dir as usual to the driver, and the driver handles micromanagement.

But if the stepper driver looses its enable signal you will loose the microstep. But with the gearing on those motors I was under the impression microstepping didn't make any sense, and yeah, I've come to the conclusion they are slow and max out easily on step rate.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 06:11:22 AM »
I am assuming that when the enable is applied the motor will snap to the full 1.8 degree angle. This is a concern for me as I want to have my home brew gcode processor automatically disable the drivers after a to be specified idle time.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

beikeland

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2016, 08:38:50 AM »
You probably want to look into drivers automatially lowering the holding/idle current instead of disabling the drivers, but for these lasers I'm not sure I would bother as the needed current is so low that over heating shouldn't be a concern?

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2016, 09:29:36 AM »
Zac has stated that T2Laser disables the drivers when idle. I don't know if it was automatics in the firmware of a command from host. One of the reasons is you can manually move the X/Y/Z. Plus, it has been on my TODO list from day one.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2016, 10:11:50 AM »
It's an option, you can have them remain energized or disabled when not being used (helps with heat but makes it easy to bump and lose position)

beikeland

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 11:35:38 AM »
I always re-home before running a second cut/etch so thats of less concern. And raipiding to 0,0 before homing means it doesn't take long at all.

If keeping 100% accurate position maybe a stepper driver with an idle current function is what you need?