Author Topic: 'port' to turn on laser?  (Read 20 times)

Stormin Norm

• View Profile
'port' to turn on laser?
« on: Today at 09:08:38 AM »
So I have 2 cnc control boards.  One came with my cheap-o laser engraver setup, the other I ordered separately off Ebay because it has z axis control.

I've switched back to my original controller, but can't get the laser to turn on.  I seem to recall that I had to switch 'something' to like port 11, or something like that to get the laser to work before. 

If this makes any sense, please give me a hand.

GD George

• View Profile
Re: 'port' to turn on laser?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 09:51:24 AM »
Your port should be set automagically when you plug in the machine. In T2, is it connecting properly to the laser?

Jerry

Stormin Norm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:33:21 AM »
If I use the old control board, laser works fine. When I go to the other control board, it doesn't get any power. (Only the laser, the motors DO get power, and are controlled through software just fine).  I had to change something in software back when I originally set up the z-axis board, and now need to set it back. I believe it tells the control board where the on-off for the laser is.  I'm not talking about com2 or com 3, but something actually on the control board itself
« Last Edit: Today at 10:34:09 AM by Stormin Norm »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:44:57 PM »
The older boards used D12 for the laser on/off, newer boards use D11 which support PWM. There may be a jumper under the Nano to switch which pin is used.

Grbl 0.8 used D12, everything since then changed to D11 so you need to use firmware that matches the hardware configuration.

If you can't change to D11 (probably labelled 0.9 on the board) T2Laser includes custom "1.1e Non-PWM" firmware that uses D12 but it will only work with T2Laser as I do some other tricks to make that possible.