Author Topic: Can T2L do this?  (Read 7499 times)

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can T2L do this?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 05:36:34 PM »
Yeah, someone with some serious talent created that command line utility.  ;D

Use it with my DXF Optimizer and Relocate Origin and it's magic!

HA! I don't know about serious talent lol. Not when you compare it to what you and Ralph have done :)

I'm going to have to play with that! :)

Ok, so what speed are you running your machine at? I've been running mine at 3000 but it seems to lag during large pixel color changes. It runs smooth for gradients but going from solid white to black it hesitates. No where near as bad as laserweb but but it still does it.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 05:51:40 PM »
I'm running 5000 rapids but for engraving I don't use more than 2000. I guess if I had a more powerful laser 3000+ may be required. Most of the time I'm around 800-1200 and haven't noticed any pauses.

I will give it a try at faster rates and see if I detect any delays.

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 06:14:18 PM »
This is what I did last night running at 3000 with a min power of 50. It had a slight hesitation in the dark areas but overall it did ok (minus the edge line on both sides)

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2016, 07:42:06 PM »
I've always wondered about my ethnicity. I'm a House-Elf!!!
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2016, 08:25:20 PM »
LOL! Yeah, I think I can relate too.

My wife asked me to make her some of these to give to her friends, little did I know this was going to be a two day adventure lol.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2016, 08:51:47 PM »
When I was at the Hobby Lobby store I found blank kids building blocks. About 2 inch cube. Recalled seeing someone posting a picture of etching the alphabet on something like this. Decided I could print my granddaughter's name, one letter per block. Wife is really glad we have a laser engraver. very different tune from last week. Now I just have to do it.

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2016, 09:03:54 PM »
Mine wants paint sticks engraved with vegetable names for the garden next year.

Last week she could not figure why we needed a Laser! (or two)
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw
Printrbot Play. Ext bed, integrated tablet control.
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2016, 01:00:05 AM »
Oh yeah I like that idea. I was staring at some craft popcicle sticks in the store Sunday, you know the wide ones. And I was thinking what could you engrave on there. I may pick some up and do the same thing for a Cub Scout project for my wife's den pack.

jtice

• View Profile
    • www.jtice.com
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2016, 05:06:43 AM »
How in the world did you do that at 3000 rate? What laser setup do you have?
I have to do full power at about 700 to 1000 rate to get it to burn well with my 5.5mw diode laser.

ROSS

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2016, 05:21:40 AM »
When I was at the Hobby Lobby store I found blank kids building blocks. About 2 inch cube. Recalled seeing someone posting a picture of etching the alphabet on something like this. Decided I could print my granddaughter's name, one letter per block. Wife is really glad we have a laser engraver. very different tune from last week. Now I just have to do it.

CAROLYNSDAD had the post in showing the blocks his daughter engraved.......
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2016, 06:32:15 AM »
(minus the edge line on both sides)

Were these in the image?

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2016, 07:46:34 AM »
Were these in the image?

No, they were because I didn't have my acceleration high enough for running at a feed rate of 3000.

I adjusted it a little bit and was able to reduce it quite a bit but my image was not coming out right so I didn't spend too much time on that.

I did several tests last night with varying results and then several more this morning. However, this morning I switched over to Laserweb3 for some comparisons. I am going to switch back to T2L and see if I can replicate what I did this morning in Laserweb3. Laserweb3 still has some issues with sending the gcode to the arduino so the gcode from laswerweb3 was sent using universal gcode sender.

I think I have a better idea of what is going on and I'm going to see if I can get T2L dialed in now.

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2016, 12:32:54 PM »
One thing I'm not a fan of with this wood is how deep it cuts into the wood. Would it be better to set the black to about half of what I want and then engrave the image twice?

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2016, 08:15:20 AM »
Apparently I missed the boat when it comes to raster engraving. I think I just got a few more gray hairs last night lol. Maybe it's my expectations...

What I'm trying to accomplish is this.
1. Have the X axis speed consistent throughout the line without any hesitation or change in speed.
2. Set the max speed for the darkest black I want to achieve.
3. Set the minimum power just bellow the point of marking the wood.
4. In this particular case, I want to mark the wood, not make it into a 3D relief engraving.

In the first attached image, the hair is perfect but the whites of the eyes are too dark and there is a lot of lost detail in the grays. The problem here is that when I set the minimum power up high enough to get this look it no longer skips the white lines and it increases the engraving time by a lot.

The second image, was all done in Laserweb3 but it has its own set of challenges to overcome, as is evident by the black top of the head in the middle of the image. Aside from that part, the image doesn't look half bad, unfortunately my machine just about walked off the table and it vibrated really bad and it is very 3D lol.

Third image was back in T2L with the default settings and then adjusting the X & Y axis acceleration.

The most frustrating part is the speed and acceleration settings. I did some reading up on this and according to the GRBL team you are supposed to set this to where the stepper motors stall and then back it off about 20%. I did this and I ended up with a max speed of 12,000 mm/min and acceleration of 6,000 mm/min on the X axis and 10,000/5,000 on the Y axis. I ended up backing off on both down to 10,000/5,000 on X and 8,000/4,000 on Y which seemed to work better for engraving between 2,500 & 3,000 mm/min. At these speeds, the only program that doesn't lag is UGS, Why? I can only suspect it has something to do with the serial connection and throughput.

I know it is a silly little plaque but I want people to say... "Oh, that's cool haha...WOW look at the detail!". Yup, there goes the perfectionist side of me again...

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2016, 11:23:58 AM »
Can you post the orig files. I would like to try with my home-brew firmware.