Author Topic: Slate?  (Read 2031 times)

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Slate?
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2016, 10:03:32 AM »
Wow! That looks great. I haven't done too much experimenting with gray-scale. That looks phenomenal. One other thing. I always out put at 80 or 85mm because the slate is exactly 100mm but because of the decorative side chipping some have a smaller engravable surface than others.

Yeah, I thought I had more space on the sides than I did and this piece almost went edge to edge lol.

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2016, 10:06:02 AM »
2 thoughts on finishing the slate.  I have used a sealer on 1 of my pieces and it didnt absorb in very well.  This makes me think they come sealed.  So sealing may not be necessary.  If you do seal, there are two kinds matte and gloss.  I tried matte and it looks exactly the same as it did originally.  Havent tried gloss yet. 
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2016, 10:08:20 AM »
Yeah, I thought I had more space on the sides than I did and this piece almost went edge to edge lol.

The nice thing about it being 100mm is finding the center is super easy.  Jog to the edge.  change to 50mm jogs.  Jog 1 time toward the middle.  reset home.  Jog to the top. reset to 50mm jogs and jog once down.  boom! center.
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2016, 11:07:34 AM »
2 thoughts on finishing the slate.  I have used a sealer on 1 of my pieces and it didnt absorb in very well.  This makes me think they come sealed.  So sealing may not be necessary.  If you do seal, there are two kinds matte and gloss.  I tried matte and it looks exactly the same as it did originally.  Havent tried gloss yet.

I was just about to ask you about sealing them lol. Based on close inspection I would have to agree with you on them being pre-sealed. I have not tested the durability of the engraving and I don't know how well it will stay without additional sealing. I have a piece that isn't going to be worth engraving so I'll use that piece for some abrasion tests :)

One comment on Michaels said that they used Mod Podge Acrylic Sealer. I have not used it so I don't know but I'm going to pick some up and give it a try. 

The nice thing about it being 100mm is finding the center is super easy.  Jog to the edge.  change to 50mm jogs.  Jog 1 time toward the middle.  reset home.  Jog to the top. reset to 50mm jogs and jog once down.  boom! center.

lol, I did that by accident this morning. I was trying to get the lens focus set and so I hit the jog buttons in T2 and it was still set to 50mm.

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2016, 11:24:04 AM »
I was just about to ask you about sealing them lol. Based on close inspection I would have to agree with you on them being pre-sealed. I have not tested the durability of the engraving and I don't know how well it will stay without additional sealing. I have a piece that isn't going to be worth engraving so I'll use that piece for some abrasion tests :)

I havent talked about this before but I have had some flaking of the engraving.  It maybe because the sealing is flaking off.  I noticed it heavily when i was using 500 speed and real high resolutions .02 and such.  Thats why I backed it way down and now do 900 with .1 and now I get almost none.  When it does flake you can just use a bristle brush to get rid of the flakes and go manual.  turn on the laser full power and jog it at 1mm back and forth over the spot.  it will almost completely disappear.  Probably wont work well on grayscale but then again the low power probably wont flake at all.  I saw the mod podge review and I have been curious myself! Let me know how your tests turn out.

P.S. I went to Joans and they have round slate coaters and slate signs! not quite as cheap as michaels but I like a variety! 

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2016, 11:30:56 AM »
I am finding this conversation very informative. Wondering if there should be threads devoted to specific materials.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2016, 11:54:07 AM »
I will be sure to post my results of the Mod Podge stuff.

If you look closely at the dog's cheek you can see a spot where it looks like it wants to flake off and its a decent size piece too. I'll give the brush a try and go back over the spot with the laser to clean it up.

I want to get some round ones too and I did find some on Amazon but I can't recall the price. I'll see if I can find them again and post a link.

The ones I got had a few chips in the package which made me think that these can chip easily and I'm wondering if maybe adding a rubber protector around the edge would take away from the look of these.

I am finding this conversation very informative. Wondering if there should be threads devoted to specific materials.
That's probably not a bad idea.

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2016, 12:14:10 PM »
here is the joans ones I picked up.  $4.49 isnt a bad price.  When I started this venture I was paying $8.00 at Cost Plus and I thought that was a great deal!

http://www.joann.com/4in-round-slate-coasters/13950407.html#q=coaster&start=24

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2016, 12:43:20 PM »
Sorry I think I update this post too much but its my post and I dont care.  So I have some spray polyurethane for wood. I may give that a try as a sealer.  I am also tempted to try a spray paint then engrave over it.  I might have to use a tape mask if the paint creates smoke that will affect the rest of the painted surface...

I have only ruined a few pieces so I try to only experiment on those ones.  I need to stop being cheep lol at $.75 a coaster I can afford to fail a few times.

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2016, 12:54:41 PM »
We have a Joanns around here too and I know my wife would love an excuse to go there :)

I have some Minwax Polycrylic that I may try as well. I also have a vacuum pump and chamber that I could try and get some to really soak in :)

They only had 4 sets of the coasters at Michaels or I would have gotten more lol.

At some point I will make it back to my laserable paint recipes which I would like to try out on some of these and see how well it adheres. The beauty of it is that it sets with heat so whatever isn't touched by the laser washes off with water. It's still in the R&D phase and got bumped down by the work on the laser driver. I did a post a while back of my initial tests which looked promising :) If I could come up with something that would adhere well to slate then I could do color!

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2016, 02:12:56 PM »
nice!  I grabbed these at joanns too.  they are mdf coasters same size as slate.  come in a set of six.  good for a prerun of a new design or to try color inversions.  obviously speed will have to be much higher so the settings wont be quite the same.  cant remember what I payed for these though.

https://www.darice.com/store/search?s=coaster&p=1&ps=60&o=0

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2016, 02:21:05 PM »
I'm wondering if these could be wet sanded to erase the engraving. If so, I could have a reusable test piece.

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2016, 02:34:37 PM »
I'm wondering if these could be wet sanded to erase the engraving. If so, I could have a reusable test piece.

I have wondered about that too.  I dont have any high grit though. 

Im burning my first set of commissioned coasters! I probably wont be paid for them since they were commissioned by family members lol.  but the point is I was noticing that this set had some marks.  I wiped them down with a dry paper towel and got the marks and alot of dirt off.  that might be causing the little bit of flaking I still get from time to time.  This set is clean now so we will see the result in a few hours or so.

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2016, 02:42:29 PM »
I have some 600 grit wet sanding paper, I'll give that a try. I didn't clean mine off but I'll give them a good scrub with a plastic bristle brush and see if that improves things any. If these are pre-sealed and that is what is flaking off then I may try to find a way to remove that before engraving and then apply a sealer after.

Mine are all for family christmas presents so no pay for these for me either lol.