Author Topic: Difference in power X / Y  (Read 724 times)

toromand

• View Profile
Difference in power X / Y
« on: October 28, 2016, 02:05:45 AM »
Hi,

My machine is 5.5w DIY A3 with L7 board. At the moment I'm using Zax's T2Laser
I have tried to cut some 3mm poplar plywood, and encountered some strange behavior.
I have found out smaller simple objects (circles and squares) are easier to cut from, say, cloud shaped object. I have managed to cut a circle with 2 passes (speed 200 pow 200)
Also, the X direction cuts much easier then Y direction (It does not have anything to do with the orientation of the wood, as I have tried to rotate the same peace of plywood 90 deg and repeat.
So the overall result is that some parts of a shape (depending on the "amount" of X in it gets cut with, say 2 passes, and other are very hard to cut even after 5 using full power and speed 200-400.
(I watch the beam passing through the bottom so I can see the cutting performance)

BTW my first test, when I assembled the machine were with benbox. Is it possible that the power was bigger with Benbox FW then with GRBL 0.9j / 255 or is it just me imagining?

beikeland

Re: Difference in power X / Y
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 02:52:38 AM »
If you are using it in PWM mode, it is possible the power output changed, as the PWM frequency changed, and since the original lasers does not really support PWM/TTL input this can affect how it works.

(edit: But afaik it should be the same in both X and Y direction)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 04:44:55 AM by beikeland »

ROSS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 03:19:42 AM »
Read also the problem with cutting some woods ACROSS the grain (in this forum by ADMINISTRATOR).
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 04:46:58 AM »
Make sure your accel/decel values are the same for X & Y, so $120 and $121.

It's also possible your Y-axis isn't as smooth, so check for any friction issue.

If you have my latest software (v1.3j) you may also want to try Grbl 1.1 and see if that is any different, it operate  smoother on my machine.

You mentioned Grbl 0.9j, presumably you mean 0.9g but if you are really using "j" then that may be the problem.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Pilot Instructor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 08:29:13 AM »
Welcome to the forum @toromand

>Also, the X direction cuts much easier then Y direction
>It does not have anything to do with the orientation of the wood, as I have tried to rotate the same peace of plywood 90 deg and repeat.

My experience has clearly shown that the direction of the grain is absolutely critical to what speeds you are using to cut or surface burn a line or circle, etc. While you may have another issue with your Y axis, once you solve it, you will find if you try to cut a square for example using the same speeds for X and Y, when you are done and look at the back of the wood, you will see two lines have cut through and two lines have not.

The assumption is that you are making just enough passes to make the cut and not making extra, time wasting passes just to get through the two cuts that require more passes.

That's exactly why I designed BenCutLaser (BCL) to allow you to set an X speed and an Y speed. The results is that you can cut a square or a circle in 6 passes and when you turn over the wood, you'll see 4 very evenly cut lines or a circle cut all the way through, evenly.

On large parts, this is a really big time saver.

Anyway, that's been my experience.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 08:31:26 AM by Administrator »
Ralph--Admin -- support_BenCutLaser_us
http://www.BenCutLaser.us/BenCutLaserSetup1.8.1r.exe.zip
http://www.BenCutLaser.us/BCLVirtualLaserMachineSetup1.8.1.exe.zip
BCL Paid license: $39.95
VLM Paid license: $19.95 (stand alone version)
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

toromand

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 11:52:19 AM »
Make sure your accel/decel values are the same for X & Y, so $120 and $121.

It's also possible your Y-axis isn't as smooth, so check for any friction issue.

If you have my latest software (v1.3j) you may also want to try Grbl 1.1 and see if that is any different, it operate  smoother on my machine.

You mentioned Grbl 0.9j, presumably you mean 0.9g but if you are really using "j" then that may be the problem.

Yes, I am actually using 0.9g, not j, of course.
I have same values for x, y speed/accel.
The grain is not the reason as I'm rotating the plywood and have same results.
Right now I managed a perfect cut with speed 350 x 4 with full power (and some air assist)
I'm using licensed 1.3f T2laser.

Where can I download 1.1? Will my $ values be lost? How to backup settings ($$) easily?

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 11:53:26 AM by toromand »

beikeland

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 12:04:16 PM »
Where can I download 1.1?
https://github.com/gnea/grbl
Will my $ values be lost?
Yes
How to backup settings ($$) easily?
Send the laser $$ and copy the output. Send the output back to the laser after the upgrade.

toromand

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 01:18:12 PM »
Is there a "flashable" version available for my Nano (not the source code)? I don't have VS setup here.

Are there any concerns / special considerations going from 0.9g to 1.1 ?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 01:49:12 PM »
Download the latest T2Laser and use my compiled 1.1c, you just click the menu and that's it. The default parameters are already in the .hex that uploads.

If you upgrade to T2Laser v1.3j first (see updates link in my sig below) you can display and save the $ values easily (for 0.9g), and then change any that you need once 1.1c has been flashed.

beikeland

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 04:02:51 PM »
I don't have VS setup here.
You only need the Arduino IDE actually

toromand

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 04:47:21 AM »
Download the latest T2Laser and use my compiled 1.1c, you just click the menu and that's it. The default parameters are already in the .hex that uploads.

If you upgrade to T2Laser v1.3j first (see updates link in my sig below) you can display and save the $ values easily (for 0.9g), and then change any that you need once 1.1c has been flashed.

Thx, testing 1.1c and 1.3j

Regards

toromand

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 08:03:10 AM »
Strange enough, my horizontal cuts are more powerful than vertical, no matter what the orientation of the wood is in question.
Can it in any way be connected with the fact that when moving vertically two motors are running, and only one when horizontal? I'm chasing ghosts here....

beikeland

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 08:14:09 AM »
Can it in any way be connected with the fact that when moving vertically two motors are running, and only one when horizontal? I'm chasing ghosts here....

As long as they are configured correctly then the number of motors should not affect the speed; if you have them incorrectly configured you would end up with different speeds in X and Y, but you would also see distortion in what you are cutting. Post your settings here, or try making a square or a circle and check that it is indeed square or round.

Another wild theory could be if the power supply is insufficient and indeed two motors drawing power reduces the voltage available to the laser. Do you have a multi-meter and are able to measure the the voltage?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 11:01:56 AM »
I bet you just nailed it... PSU current!!!

The standard power supply is OK for the 2500mW but it's really straining a 5500mW and if your motor currents are set fairly high that could be the cause.

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 11:20:40 AM »
My 500mw came with a 2A supply when tested with a kill-a-watt consumption was 1.1A with a 2W diode.
The 2500mw came with a 5A supply. So does the 5500mw.

Have you checked your stepper drivers to see if they are set properly? Have you checked to make sure each axis is moving freely? Belt tension the same on all three belts? Do you have another power supply, 12V 5A+, like from a 3D printer to try?
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw

Experimenting with Mega2560 board upgrade