Author Topic: Can I engrave anodized aluminum?  (Read 5347 times)

jlauzon

• View Profile
Can I engrave anodized aluminum?
« on: April 16, 2016, 05:37:58 PM »
Just a quick test on anodized aluminum.

Model: A5 - 5500mW
Feed Rate: 1250
Laser Power: 75
Resolution: .125

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Can I engrave anodized aluminum?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 08:50:18 PM »
Hot damn that looks great...!!!
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

Nigelnowhere

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 03:30:30 AM »
Could this potentially damage the laser? Just curious if the laser could reflect back in to itself and damage the optics or the laser itself.
2500mw Eleks Maker A3 and A5 running GRBL 0.9 and using T2 laser. I have two lasers and I am not afraid to make them work for me.

ROSS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 03:35:42 AM »
Could this potentially damage the laser? Just curious if the laser could reflect back in to itself and damage the optics or the laser itself.

Obviously appears not to have in the case shown above.
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 04:43:30 AM »
Anodized aluminum works great, you are just removing the paint so it's very easy and won't damage the laser diode.

Direct reflections aren't usually a problem as the beam is no longer focused.

Removing the "silvering" from a mirror produces excellent results too, just flip the design and engrave from the backside. Then use paint or colored paper on the back and you can make a multi-color design that looks great from the front (glass) side.

- Zax

ROSS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 04:54:28 AM »
Anodized aluminum works great, you are just removing the paint so it's very easy and won't damage the laser diode.

- Zax

It is NOT paint.

Anodizing (also spelled anodising, particularly in the UK, India and Australia) is an electrolytic passivation process used to increase the thickness of the natural oxide layer on the surface of metal parts.
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

TBN

• View Profile
    • Traditional By Nature
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 04:57:32 AM »

Removing the "silvering" from a mirror produces excellent results too, just flip the design and engrave from the backside. Then use paint or colored paper on the back and you can make a multi-color design that looks great from the front (glass) side.

- Zax

That would be the perfect addition to some of the jewelry boxes I make. Thank for the idea Zax! 
500mw A5 Mini Laser Engraving Machine from GearBest

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 05:14:05 AM »
It is NOT paint.

Anodizing (also spelled anodising, particularly in the UK, India and Australia) is an electrolytic passivation process used to increase the thickness of the natural oxide layer on the surface of metal parts.

@Ross  ::) I am aware it isn't really "paint" but my point was that the pigmented coating on these cheap items is easily removed compared to a true hard anodized finish that not even my 40W CO2 will remove (it just lightens it).

I recently did over 120 anodized water bottles for a corporate event, I purchased then in bulk from Dollar Tree at $0.87 each.

- Zax

eodguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 02:55:41 PM »
@Ross  ::) I am aware it isn't really "paint" but my point was that the pigmented coating on these cheap items is easily removed compared to a true hard anodized finish that not even my 40W CO2 will remove (it just lightens it).

I recently did over 120 anodized water bottles for a corporate event, I purchased then in bulk from Dollar Tree at $0.87 each.

- Zax

Was this done on your CO2 laser or the diode? I assume with a rotary axis.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 03:05:35 PM »
I used the CO2 due to it's speed and since they were mixed colors it just performs better (more consistent results). No rotary axis, I did one side and then manually rotated them 180*. I built a simple jig to hold bottles at a time, but it still took some time and patience but was worth it.

There is no reason you couldn't get similar results with the diode laser, as jlauzon has shown.

- Zax