Author Topic: prusacontrol  (Read 4210 times)

kibodwin

• View Profile
prusacontrol
« on: June 13, 2017, 02:19:33 AM »
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Software: T2Laser, laserweb4, Repitier, Cura
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560
Anycubic Kossel Delta ramps

Stonemull

• View Profile
Re: prusacontrol
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 07:16:50 AM »
Looks interesting, will have to give it a run tomorrow.
Does it have the variable layers or is that just the prusa edition ?
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

kibodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 07:33:08 AM »
from the little reading I did with this I believe it does have the variable layer resolution but cant confirm.
windows only also...
=(
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 07:34:30 AM »
I downloaded it a few days ago. There are almost no options. Not even temp options. You pick your filament type and it sets everything for you. I do that like it but it might have been nice my first week
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 09:50:36 AM »
Does this mean you have a "slate filament" and we can expect ornate shapes with laser engravings?
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 11:33:52 AM »
well there is obsidian filament... why not slate!
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 04:35:59 PM »
PrusaControl reported it would not run on my version of Windows.

I tried installing it on a Tablet with Win10 and has an Atom Z3537F processor with 2GB memory 32GB storage. PrusaControl is a 32bit program and so is the tablet. The other four slicers programs run just fine on it!

So you may have problems if you try it on an inexpensive tablet. It did install and run on an expensive tablet. It was a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 i5 4GB RAM tablet. PrusaControl took quite a time to slice a quadcopter frame. It looks like it will need a decent computer to operate smoothly at decent speed. Seems to be very easy to use. Easier than CURA.

Pro's;
Very easy to use.
Very few settings, you can set a brim, a couple of support types, quality, infill and filament type.
Settings for nozzle size and a few other things.

Con's;
So far only works on Prusa i3 style printers. No support for other printers.
Does not allow 100% infill.
A limited selection of filaments.

This would be a good starting program for people. If you want to spend time printing rather than time learning the limitations may not be that bad for most people. The limitations might bite you if you are trying to print advanced pieces. I will admit that it will probably print 90% or more of what most people want from it, including me.

CURA 15.04.6 would be the next step for advanced printing allowing some more settings flexibility. After that is Matter Control which is also very easy to use. Repeater is an advanced user program and takes a lot of experience to use well!

Overall a good idea! 3D printing can be very frustrating for a new owner. Giving a chance for good prints from the start encourages the new user. Successful people tell their friends and those friends are likely to buy the same equipment!

I do not have a Press i3 or a clone. I compared it's use against the other programs only.
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw
Printrbot Play. Ext bed, integrated tablet control.
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA

kibodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 12:39:08 AM »
I have a i3 clone and will give it a go but by the looks of it it is a step back from using cura. I think you can change some config files (json?) to change the temp setting for pre set filaments, not sure about this..
I know it is in beta but I prefer to have to learn to use something than to trust preset settings...must be the penguin in me!
=)
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 02:58:33 PM »
There is a fixed list of filament types. I am sure that you could locate the config files and make changes. But if you need to do that you might as well be using a more advanced program. And you can change the nozzle diameter.

They appear to want to limit your need learn to get good prints when you start with their printer. And most people just want their new toy to work. People that have a good experience tell others, just like people that have bad experience tell others. If you were selling 3D printers which experience would you want your buyers to have?

If you feel like you just have tinker away use Repetier! LOL!  And when you need to feed the Penguin get a Raspberry Pi! ;)
Richard
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 08:34:15 PM »
After creating profiles for a new printer in Repertier, cura and Slic3r, I find cura the trickiest of the lot, first you have to find the option uou want to enable before you can change it. The gcode visualisation sure is useful though, worth installing it for that even if you don't slice with it.
Repetier is not that tricksy, just different. Slic3r seems full of random bugs closing it lately .. I must look for a new one, it is still my slicer of choice for simple jobs and it easy to set up with an octoprint powered network printer.

I have still jot looked, prusacontrol might be removing options than can fail prints or damage orinter hardware, nozzle temps being a main cause.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 08:35:49 PM by Stonemull »
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 09:54:39 PM »
Another one you might not have heard of is Matter Control.
http://www.mattercontrol.com/

I find CURA simple and easy to setup. CURA also cures most "manifold" issues on it's own. It has pretty decent settings for many different printers. It's default settings work, except for it always defaults to 2.85mm filament, I use it most! Repetier seems hard to me. Settings for everything. Not much experience with Matter Control and I have never really used 3D Builder from Microsoft either.

Did anyone ever find a decent or different 3D printer program for Linux? I know CURA and Slic3r are available in Linux.
Richard
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA

kibodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 12:32:23 AM »
in linux the only decent ones I use are cura first and foremost (mainly due to lazyness as it is easy to push out a quick print), repetier and slic3r...
I do this others are available but I am not sure they have the same level of finish as cura...
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560