Author Topic: Simplify 3D  (Read 6011 times)

mvictor

• View Profile
Simplify 3D
« on: July 06, 2017, 08:54:48 AM »
Has anyone here used Simplify 3D. From what is being on the net it appears to be the best 3D printing / slicing program. Is that true? Is it worth it, as long as Cura , Slicer are free and astroprint or octoprint do an amazing job? Now I am using Repetier, with slicer and recently discovered the astroprint that does a very good job.

mrehmus

• Pilot, submariner, model engineer, etc., etc.
    • View Profile
    • Model Engine Builder
Re: Simplify 3D
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 09:24:41 AM »
I use S3D and find it superior to other products I've tried.
mrehmus
editor, Model Engine Builder magazine
Elekslaser A3 2.5 watt via Banggood
BCL
Qidi X-one 3D printer
Machine Shop with manual and CNC machines

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 11:04:15 PM »
whats the cost on that?
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 04:58:18 AM »
whats the cost on that?

Website says $149
Laser: 2x EleksMaker A3s
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2 / Sovol SV01
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 07:28:32 PM »
What does everybody use?
Currently, I use Monoprice's Cura on one computer and Cura on all of the others. I am starting to look at slic3r, but would like to know what everybody prefers.

I bet simplify3D would be great, but I cannot justify $150 on it right now. I would like to stay free for the moment.

On another note, there is another program that looks promising. www.selfCAD.com claims to be a design software, slicer, printer sender etc. pretty much an all-in-one web-based software suite all for $10/month
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 09:33:51 PM »
Slic3r is the one that comes with the prusas so that is the one i have been using.  I also have cura but everything I slice in doesnt work so I'm doing something wrong.  I would like the option of custom supports but I dont know that 5 minutes of cutting extra supports justifies $149
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

mrehmus

• Pilot, submariner, model engineer, etc., etc.
    • View Profile
    • Model Engine Builder
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 10:15:27 PM »
Compared to Cura, S3D creates better print jobs. I've never used the custom supports but the quality of the print jobs is much better with S3D in my opinion. I've printed the same object with Cura and with s3D and there is a difference.

Also S3D will 'fix' bad input files which Cura will not.
mrehmus
editor, Model Engine Builder magazine
Elekslaser A3 2.5 watt via Banggood
BCL
Qidi X-one 3D printer
Machine Shop with manual and CNC machines

mvictor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 04:34:55 AM »
I also am not sure if the 150 bucks is worth it. Now I am using Repetier software with Slic3r and I am very satisfied with the results. Alsa tried astroprint that slices in the cloud, and is very fast and reliable. It has as option to slice with Cura engine or Slic3e engine. My results with Cura were decent, but better with Slic3r. I forgot to mention I have a Anet A6 printer, rebranded by some chinese in "Coocheer", but definitely  an Anet A6.
I also tried Octoprint but only as a wireless server transfer for the printer, no slice with it.

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 09:19:20 AM »
I use Astroprint for my controller and sender program and Cura locally for my slicer. I have yet to try out Astroprint's cloud slicer.

@Nottingham, you may want to check this out https://craftunique.com/craftware/?page=craftware I think they have custom supports

effdub

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 08:31:50 PM »
Simplify3D is definitely not cheap. But it is also definitely awesome in just about every way. It's the most tweakable/configurable slicer I've tried (by far), and also the fastest at the actual slicing part of the job. It's crazy fast at slicing.

Also, the supports algo is brilliant. You can also customize the supports, but so far I've not needed to.

Another standout feature for me is that you can tell it to print slower for any layer that takes less than X seconds to finish. This is important for models that get much smaller at the top (chess pieces or something like an Eiffel Tower model, for example). Doing those layers fast usually results in slop because it doesn't have time to cool, but if you can slow just those layers down, the outcome is way better while still saving time by not having to print the whole model slow.

I'm a cheap bastard, but S3D is worth every penny to me.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 04:51:22 AM »
Cura 15.04 here, it's easy to use and I've been happy with the results.

If anything I am thinking of trying their new version, can anyone comment on how it compares?

kibodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 05:27:34 AM »
cura and repetier (different software for different printers)...
effdub, sounds like you have never tried Skeinforge ....
=)
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Software: T2Laser, laserweb4, Repitier, Cura
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560
Anycubic Kossel Delta ramps

pedwards2932

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 07:48:47 AM »
Do you gain much getting the latest version of Cura I am using 14.07?  I guess since my hobby compared to say "boating or Harley's" is pretty cheap so $149.00 doesn't sound awful.....less than a Harley jacket.  I like the idea of being able to slow the print down in specific areas.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 07:51:36 AM »
I'm using what came with my machine from Monoprice.

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 08:14:55 AM »
I'm using what came with my machine from Monoprice.

I don't like their version. It seems like they really hide many of the settings. I prefer the stock Cura. I think I am using 3 different version (on three different computers). I have v2.3.1 on one and will have to report back later when I get home with the other versions.