Author Topic: Levels of grey  (Read 17875 times)

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Levels of grey
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2016, 04:44:43 AM »
This is for the board from Banggood.com

Connections:
Laser - Connect your wires coming from the laser diode here
TTL - Connect this to the socket marked laser on your Eleks Maker board
Fan 12v - Connect the laser module's fan here
DC12v - connect this to the socked marked 12v on your Eleks Maker board

kn4ud

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2016, 05:28:06 AM »
Thanks for the information Agastar, very helpful. I hope my board gets here soon.
Allen

marcel54

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2016, 06:51:29 AM »
INPUT LASER -> A
FAN -> C
1 -> B
2 -> D

Good ?

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2016, 06:56:40 AM »
You're welcome, I ordered one as well so we'll see how it goes :)

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2016, 12:42:06 PM »
http://benboxlaser.us/index.php?topic=381.0

these 2 thread seems to be the same discussion... so lets link them.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2016, 05:26:27 PM »
What have the results been with the addition of this board. I am thinking about doing the addition of the extra board on my 2.5w laser. I have very limited burn power (none unless very slow)once I go below 220. I have made the conversion to pwm and am using T-2 and it works good for burning and engraving black lettering, but I have had very limited success trying to engrave photos. Line art works good but at higher powers only.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2016, 06:12:50 PM »
The results were excellent, but unfortunately there's really no easy way to do the conversion. At least that's been my experience as the module is filled with silicone or epoxy making it difficult to access the diode.

Check the other thread for lots of information, and pictures.

Guido.masoero

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2016, 09:50:17 AM »
I am using the T2laser by Zax, the photo of the wood with the mandala was engraved with T2, about 150,000 lines. Would print good photos of linden or maple,
but with the T2 the gray scale dithering and bad runs are not satisfied, what can I improve? I thought that putting the gray scale regulate the parameters automatically and correctly to get good results.

Io sto usando il T2laser di Zax, la foto del legno con il mandala stata inciso con T2, circa 150000 linee. ma interessa stampare bene delle foto su tiglio o acero,
ma con il T2 la scala dei grigi e il dithering   funziona male, non sono soddisfatto, cosa posso migliorare? pensavo che mettendo la scala dei grigi regolasse i parametri in modo automatico e corretto per avere buoni risultati.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2016, 10:42:46 AM »
Re: http://benboxlaser.us/index.php?topic=462.msg6326#msg6326

@Guido, your mandala engraving is very impressive.

What is your problem with grey scale, is the laser output not linear with the power value?

That seems to be a common problem with the newer systems, I don't think it is related to the driver board but rather changes to the voltage / constant driver inside the laser module.

If it is linear within a different range, say no output to 50 and then linear from 50 to 200 and then shows full power. You should set the laser min to 50 and laser max to 200 and then T2Laser will only use values between those for the grey scale.

If it isn't linear at all, then there isn't much you can do except use dithered or black/white output. Well I guess you can change the laser module out but until we have a good solution I'm not recommending that.

150,000 lines isn't much for T2Laser, I've successfully tested over 5 million lines of G-code.

kn4ud

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2016, 10:13:19 AM »
Zax, I have made changes to my 2.5w unit, removed the internal driver and replaced the diode with a NDB7875 and added the Jtech controller to control the diode. I am using 13a. Here is an attempt at grey scale using 2000 for speed , power min 3 max 210 and resolution of 0.1 I would like your input on adjustments that I could do to make it better. I also noted that while it was burning at a point about 3/4 of the way through ( around the right elbow and right side of the head ) you will see a small dot at the noted points where the carrage seemed to almost stop at these 2 points, this is the second time I have seen this happen, is this a buffer thing ? Also you can see 2 diagonal bands in the burn. I would like your opinion.
Allen

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2016, 10:44:39 AM »
Are you using J-Tech firmware?

I have never seen a pause like you mention, is it possible the USB went to sleep due to being idle and caused the buffer to empty. T2Laser is very efficient at keeping the buffer full so that should be the only way it can happen.

The bands could be due to scaling, but it's difficult to tell. If you have time to try v1.3b it has a new g-code algorithm that may work better in some circumstances.

kn4ud

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2016, 11:52:56 AM »
Yes, I am using the jtech firmware that is with the T2. I have 13b downloaded and will try it today. I have no complaints about the dots it made when it almost stopped just it kind of startled me , it all happened on the same burn line. I have my computer set to not go to sleep. Like I said it has only happened twice. It is probably something in my system. I am still learning and feel that with the new setup I now getting somewhere with the grey scale before liner did not exist with the internal driver in the module. The T2 software great, I tried piclaser and it made me want to pull my hair out. The T2 is so much more user friendly, thanks Zax. Any good pointers on getting good grey scale burns.
Allen

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2016, 12:12:58 PM »
The grey scale response depends a lot on the material, but your setup should produce the best possible results.

If you use v1.3b with the photo mode disabled (yes, not checked) you should see more banding which sounds bad but actually produces more pronounced grey levels, in photo mode it will be "softer" as the algorithm uses pixel shifting (similar to anti-aliasing) to blend the grey levels for a more natural look.

There's pros and cons for each method, generally for clip art you'd want the new result and for photos like your example you'd want the original method but it will depend on the image and resolution etc.

kn4ud

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2016, 12:33:00 PM »
Thanks Zax, I will give that a try. I have found that very true about the type of wood and the grain and even on plywood from one side to the other.
Allen