Author Topic: Water cooling system modifications  (Read 1666 times)

wild.bill

• Hey Laser Lips, Your mother was a snowblower
    • View Profile
Water cooling system modifications
« on: November 10, 2017, 02:25:38 PM »
Having a good cooling system is very important for this laser. It's ideal operating temp is between 60 - 70 degree F. Any higher the laser starts to loose some power and will not cut as well.

These laser's come with a pump for the water but no instructions on how to use it or how much water you need. On mine I use about 2 gallons because I didn't have room for anything much larger. What I found was that with this amount of water it would heat up about 15deg in an hour of laser usage so it was getting a little warm - so pause the cutting to let things  cool down. The problem now is you are just pumping water through the laser with nothing to cool it down so 1 hour of running took about 5 hours to cool down. This didn't work because I have been etching a lot of ceramic tiles and it takes about 1 1/2 hours for each.

So what have I done:

1) put a temperature gauge on top of my water bucket. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VJ8JS14/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2) added radiator and fan's so I can actively cool the water to air temp (no cooling elements)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0067LW8RY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
         I did get carried away and put in fancy fan's with LED's - I just liked the look.

You should use distilled water so you don't get minerals building up in the laser and also add something to prevent algae from growing in the lines and laser. At this point I have added a little bleach to my water. May not be the best solution but it works for now.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 06:41:01 AM by wild.bill »
Laser: was an A3 2.0w TTL L6/GRBL Z axis now 2'x3'
          OpenBuilds ACRO 510 w/ 2.0W TTL laser Cohesion Mini/Smoothie Z axis Homing switches
          K40 Cohesion Mini 60W LightObject LPS
          80W CO2 Red-Black 500x700

cool is simply a subjective state of mind

wild.bill

• Hey Laser Lips, Your mother was a snowblower
    • View Profile
Re: Water cooling system modifications
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 06:42:25 AM »
Added some content to the water cooling post.
Laser: was an A3 2.0w TTL L6/GRBL Z axis now 2'x3'
          OpenBuilds ACRO 510 w/ 2.0W TTL laser Cohesion Mini/Smoothie Z axis Homing switches
          K40 Cohesion Mini 60W LightObject LPS
          80W CO2 Red-Black 500x700

cool is simply a subjective state of mind