Author Topic: 3D Printer Slicers  (Read 8362 times)

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
3D Printer Slicers
« on: January 02, 2018, 05:30:30 PM »
I have been using Cura 2.3.1 for some time now and love it. I tried Cura 3 but it did not work on over half of my computers.

There are some options in Slic3r that I want that are not in Cura. So, I have downloaded Slic3r Prusa Version and have transferred my known good settings over.

I have a Maker Select v2 and if anyone has any pointers for a new Slic3r user, feel free to chime in.
Laser: 2x EleksMaker A3s
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2 / Sovol SV01
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

Moonie

• View Profile
Re: 3D Printer Slicers
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 09:32:35 PM »
Have a Tevo Tornado and been using Simplify3D since day one and it works like a rocket. I know there is a new program called ideamaker or something that the people are also raving about that is free. Simplify is very expensive at about $150 or something but worth it for me
Sharks with frikken laser beams !

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 10:36:22 PM »
slic3r isnt as pretty as cura but it is pretty intuitive.  I have found the generic filament settings work better than the specific brand settings for the prusa edition.  Other than that... just dig in... you'll get it. 
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 05:58:32 AM »
@Moonie. I am sure S3D is awesome. Outside of cost, my main reason for staying away from it is because of my workflow. I do not limit my designing and a living to one computer but across many (windows, Mac and Linux). I need a software that runs on all of them wherever I am. I am weird like that.

@Nottingham. No it is not as pretty as cura. I just printed an item last night sliced in slic3r that I had sliced in cura the day before to compare. Outside of me being a bonehead and leaving the supports on, it turned out better than my cura print. I am mainly looking at slic3r because of the ability to slow the print down on small perimeters. That is where my prints tent to get crappy. I believe that I have all my settings transferred over. Would like to play around with some of the advanced settings in slic3r though. Any suggestions are welcome.

When I first tried slic3r, I hated it. It was the vanilla version and I was also dumb in the way of printing. I really like the Prusa edition as it seems more geared to my style of printer (mine being a clone of a Prusa). The main thing I need to get used to is the fact that there are multiple tabs and everything is NOT on the side for me to view. Just gotta remember to check the tabs....
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 07:56:23 PM »
for slic3r, what would the best way to have multiple profiles for filament settings?

Say I want one setting for PLA and one for PETG to make it easy to switch between settings.

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 08:20:02 PM »
under the filament settings tab at the top is a drop down.  Those are all your presets.  If you want a new one, you change the settings then hit the floppy disk to save it and then give it a name. 

Same thing with the Print settings tab.  Hit the floppy disc and name it. 

Then from the platter tab on the right is all your presets so you dont have to go to any other tabs once you have it set up.
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 08:35:54 PM »
under the filament settings tab at the top is a drop down.  Those are all your presets.  If you want a new one, you change the settings then hit the floppy disk to save it and then give it a name. 

Same thing with the Print settings tab.  Hit the floppy disc and name it. 

Then from the platter tab on the right is all your presets so you dont have to go to any other tabs once you have it set up.

Thank you Mr. Smarty-Pants!!! I can't wait to try it out with some PETG. Been working with PLA again for a while and have been hesitant to go back to PETG because of the transition back to PLA is kinda hard. I get some PETG stuck in the nozzle. I just need another printer so I can run multiple filament types......Maybe an anet A8 is in my future......

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 07:50:49 AM »
I suspect Sir Notingham is the last user of a "Floppy Disc".
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 08:48:46 AM »
I suspect Sir Notingham is the last user of a "Floppy Disc".

3 1/2 or 5 1/4?

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 09:33:54 AM »
I suspect it is one of the single sided, single density, 8 inch IBM drives from 1971.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

wild.bill

• Hey Laser Lips, Your mother was a snowblower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 10:35:10 AM »
I suspect it is one of the single sided, single density, 8 inch IBM drives from 1971.

I have some 8" drives and disks if anyone needs them. It was a big up grade for my first home computer. PDP-8 (with core memory), ASR33, and paper tape.
Laser: was an A3 2.0w TTL L6/GRBL Z axis now 2'x3'
          OpenBuilds ACRO 510 w/ 2.0W TTL laser Cohesion Mini/Smoothie Z axis Homing switches
          K40 Cohesion Mini 60W LightObject LPS
          80W CO2 Red-Black 500x700

cool is simply a subjective state of mind

kibodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 12:06:20 AM »
no one mentions repetier, I use it on older linux hardware without any issues. Not as polished as cura but it works.
https://www.repetier.com/
I think repetier has slic3r built into it, but I am not sure of this.
=)
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Software: T2Laser, laserweb4, Repitier, Cura
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560
Anycubic Kossel Delta ramps

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 01:37:50 AM »
no love for skeinforge ?

:)

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 05:00:35 AM »
Never tried repetier. Last I saw it it required more than I was willing to do at the time (I just wanted to print)

Tried skeinforge and like the UI  but was too complicated for me at the time. I was still new though

I brought up Cura and slic3r because they seem like the two most popular free slicers

kibodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 06:19:18 AM »
no love for skeinforge ?

:)
Are you insane?? I had to use this with my makerbot cupcake and it put me off 3D printing for a few years!!!
That piece of software was very powerful but god was it difficult to use. Thanks for the bad memories..
=)
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Software: T2Laser, laserweb4, Repitier, Cura
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560
Anycubic Kossel Delta ramps