Author Topic: Stepper motor Nema 23 connecting  (Read 5321 times)

John Henriksen

• View Profile
    • RC Model
Stepper motor Nema 23 connecting
« on: March 03, 2018, 10:50:29 AM »
Hi

I have this eleksmana board 3 axe

https://www.banggood.com/3-Axis-Stepper-Motor-Driver-Board-Controller-Laser-board-For-DIY-Laser-Engraver-p-1015947.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN

and a Nema 23 stepper motor in this rotary tool

https://www.banggood.com/CNC-Router-Rotational-Rotary-Axis-CNC-Machine-Accessory-Tailstock-for-4th-Axis-p-1154485.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN

It comes without a connector so just to be sure

The stepper motor have 4 wires but I am not 100% how to solder the wires to the connector 4-pin
Red, yellow, blue, green

What is the correct connection (i could guess that is is the same as my Eleksmana steppers)

I think that this datasheet for the Nema 23 is the correct one saying that it draws 2.5A and the board can draw 2A
Is it a problem drawing this Nema 23 motor?

https://motion.schneider-electric.com/downloads/quickreference/NEMA23.pdf

Great if you can  :)

John

EleksMaker® EL01-2500 445nm 2500mW Blue Laser

Software T2Laser

John Henriksen

• View Profile
    • RC Model
Re: Stepper motor Nema 23 connecting
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 01:22:47 AM »
Okay I did found out by my selv surfing the net  :)

Now it is running smoothly both as x-axe or y-axe

By messuring the resistent on the wires I found the A and B pairs for the coils

John

Software T2Laser

rpt007

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 02:00:15 AM »
John,

I've got the same rotary axis for my CNC machine. As you said the Nema23 draws a lot of current. If you don't put heavy stuff on the rotary axis your normal stepper drivers (the red A4988's) will function flawlessly. But keep in mind that they only can deliver (uncooled) less than 1A. If they get actively cooled they might go up to 1.8A (They are rated up to 2A, but I would always let a bit of "space" to grant them a longer e-life). If they get overloaded/overheated their internal protection mechanism shuts them off until it has cooled down - resulting in step losses and thus a failure in your workpiece when the laser stays powered.

As long as the NEMA23 in the rotary axis doesn't have to carry a lot of load you will be fine. If the rotary axis begins to behave a bit strange you should measure the temperature of the related stepper driver and add at least a heatsink, better: heatsink plus fan.

In my CNC the rotary has to work pretty hard against the grain, so I have a driver (DM442) which can deliver up to 4A.

Raimund
Do you have already thought about a solution yourself or is a part of the problem sitting in front of the screen?

John Henriksen

• View Profile
    • RC Model
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 05:51:33 AM »
Hi Raimund

Thanks for the feed back. I will see hove it goes and if the driver gets to hot I will put a Fan and heatsink on.

If you have A link to the driver you are using, please feel free to post it here, that will be nice.

by the way that must be external right?

John

Software T2Laser

rpt007

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 01:07:36 AM »
John,

I bought the driver a while ago in Germany. But if you google for Leadshine DM442, you will get a lot of hits. The drivers are not low price, but very reliable. As I am using them on a CNC machine I have another breakout board to connect to the external drivers. But it is no problem to use them from any other board as long your board can provide: DIR, STEP signals (plus optionally: ENABLE).

Btw: one can find out stepper motor wire pairs with just turning the shaft by hand and connect any two wires. If you feel resistance,turning the shaft, you have found one wire pair which is connected to one coil. And the remaining two wires are connected to the second coil. If no resistance, let loose one wire and connect with the next wire, until you feel the resistance.

Raimund
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 01:12:30 AM by rpt007 »
Do you have already thought about a solution yourself or is a part of the problem sitting in front of the screen?

John Henriksen

• View Profile
    • RC Model
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 01:32:00 AM »
Hi thanks for feed back

Maybe is it a bit overkilled with a DM442 for my use, a smaller bridge solution could be the answer
John

Software T2Laser

rpt007

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 03:33:54 AM »
John,

I wouldn't go with a simple bridge solution. Take a chopper based driver, where you could use microstepping.
You can find cheaper products (Leadshine clones) from China, take a look at eBay, Amazon etc. and search for TB6600 driver and you will find clones of the Leadshines for much lower prices.

Another source, which I often use, is stepperonline.com (alos available via Amazon); I think their DM332T could be sufficient for your application as you will use it just for turning the rotatory axis, right?

Raimund

John Henriksen

• View Profile
    • RC Model
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 05:33:29 AM »
Hi Raimund

Yes your are right, maybe I should go with that  :)

Thanks

John

Software T2Laser

rpt007

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 03:27:52 PM »
Let me know if you need some help to connect it to the controller board.
Raimund

John Henriksen

• View Profile
    • RC Model
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 02:45:04 AM »
Hi Raimund

Yes that will be great, if you can make an diagram and upload it here, then everyone can make use of it  :)

I will come back with my choice 
John

Software T2Laser

John Henriksen

• View Profile
    • RC Model
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 03:49:50 AM »
Hi

I found this driver

https://www.banggood.com/TB6600-4A-CNC-32-Segments-42V-425786-Stepper-Motor-Driver-Controller-p-1093437.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

Now I just need to find a good power supply
Do you know a good one in banggood?
John

Software T2Laser

rpt007

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 04:30:25 AM »
Sorry, but I have no experience with power supplies from Banggood.

The only Chinese power supplies which I currently use, are from Meanwell.
I did have some issues with "normal Chinese" power supplies and as I am using these power supplies in an industrial environment I can't take any risk (and complaints from my customers). So I stay with Meanwell. Sometimes Banggood offers power supplies as replacements for laptops. They usually come with about 19..20 V and 4.. 6 Amps. But I have no experience with these units.

Anyway, normally Banggood delivers a pretty good quality and the risk for you is much lower than going with a cheap noname Chinese supplier.

But before you invest, I would try to deal with the existing A4988, giving them a good heatsink and active cooling. As said earlier, as long as there is no big load on the rotary axis (the laser is not working against the grain as a CNC bit would do), you might be well off. Just in case you could try to adjust / increase the current on the driver (but be careful, a lot of people fried their A4988 with not knowing what they did). If you need some deeper information on how to adjust the driver's current, pls let me know.

Raimund

John Henriksen

• View Profile
    • RC Model
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 04:39:17 AM »
Thanks for your good information.

I was thinking of all so using my milling tool to engrave in glass and therefor may need more amps, I will try to order the one from banggood and messure the voltage and amps
they all so have a better one
https://www.banggood.com/TB6600-0_2-5A-CNC-Engraving-Machine-Stepper-Motor-Driver-Controller-Single-Axis-p-1226790.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN

Specification:
-Automatic idle-current reduction
-Supply voltage up to 50V DC
-Output current up to 5.0A
-High speed optoelectronic isolation signal input
-Single-chip PWM bipolar sinusoidal chopper ensures low vibration and high efficiency
-1, 2, 4 (New Mode), 8, 16 adjustable microstep control, motors run more precisely and smoothly

Features:
1. Equipped with the 3rd generation of breakout board, display panel and control pad to control the motor manually.
2. Overload, overcurrent, overheat, overvoltage and undervoltage protection to avoid damaging your computer and devices.
3. Cooling Aluminium Box Design for Cooling, and protect the driver board from being damaged by dirt, dust or other liquids.
4. Moreover, the brand new design with BiCD0.13 (50V) process technology on the chipset also ensures
maximum 5.0A output current and 50V output withstand voltage.

Package Included:
1 x CNC Engraving Machine Stepper Motor Driver

John

Software T2Laser

rpt007

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 08:31:32 AM »
ok, sounds good.

Let me know when you enter next steps; I am currently looking for a simpe/lightweight rotary axis for my laser.
There is some discussion here and some experts have already printed a rotary axis. I will check, if my new Cetus 3D printer can help me.
It will only be for smaller, lighter things, so the rotary axis stepper won't have too much load and I hope I can go with either the A4988 in the Eleksmana SE board or upgrade to either a DRV8825 or TMC21xx driver to handle the rotary.

Raimund