Author Topic: Software to manage patterns of raster image for laser engraving  (Read 1171 times)

g0rg

• View Profile
Software to manage patterns of raster image for laser engraving
« on: January 25, 2019, 09:32:44 AM »
Hi all,
I try to find a way to engrave the same raster image a several times as i have now a big enough (150cm x 150cm) laser engraver.
My image is actually 12cm x 12cm.
The problem is when i use my image file on T2 laser, let's say to have 6 tiles  (see the attachment).
I engrave in diagonal direction. I would like the laser to start and finish 1 tile at a time but actualy it crosses the whole axys X and Y to start all the tiles in the same times.
I'm not a pro coding g-code but i know that there is a special command to move the origin point in order to start again the same job in a different location.
I don't know if it's clear enough to expect an answer or suggestion on that.

Let me know if i missed a point or if it could be easy to edit the g-code manualy for example.

Best regards and thanks ,
Fred
BCL 3.2a + T2 laser + Fusion 360
Win10 X64
Grbl 1.1f
Banggood 5,5w and 10w laser 30x40cm + Bangood 15w 150x150cm
EleksMaker mana v2 board Pwm Moded

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Software to manage patterns of raster image for laser engraving
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 11:05:19 AM »
There are a few ways to improve this, for this example the simplest may be to use a pseudo fill (hatch) and do it as vector with the help of DXF Optimizer.

Another option would be to use a preset button to move to the next position, say G0 X100 and then reset home G92 X0 Y0.

g0rg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 02:31:08 AM »
Hi zax, thank you for this answer.
-  Do you mean editing the raster with illustrator and fill the shape with hatch ?  or from T2 laser ?

-  How can i know the hatches distance or dimension that was used in T2 in order to use the same as vector ?

- For the dxf optimizer do you mean this software ? : https://dxf-cnc-graphic-optimizer.windows10compatible.com/

- Finally about your buttons suggestion, do you mean that it's possible to edit the g-code by pressing virtual action buttons and laught a final job or should i need to press the button each time i want to engrave another part ?

sorry for asking but i'm quite new with raster images engraving
BCL 3.2a + T2 laser + Fusion 360
Win10 X64
Grbl 1.1f
Banggood 5,5w and 10w laser 30x40cm + Bangood 15w 150x150cm
EleksMaker mana v2 board Pwm Moded

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 07:29:11 AM »
You can either add the hatch and import as vector or trace and automatically add hatch in T2Laser, set the spacing to match your engraving resolution.

Wow, $100. No I was referring to the included DXF Optimizer in T2Laser. Just enable it before tracing and it will optimize the paths.

The custom buttons are enabled in the menu, they store a few G-code commands such as moving to a new position and setting origin. You would still need to run the image G-code again manually, it's just a way to semi-automate the process.

mattm58

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 09:39:36 AM »
Not an elegant solution, but if this is something you're going to save the gcode to run multiple times it works, essentially doing the tiling in image editor.  I do a lot of 100mm square coasters.  I'll create the 100mm square image, then create a new 400mm square blank image, then one at a time paste the original 100mm image in each corner and save.  Open up T2 and generate the gcode for each with starting point at a corner.  Then open a text editor and paste in the contents of each of the 4 .nc files in the order you want them to burn.  You'll still have the issue of the laser returning to 'home' between each of the 4, but it's just a few seconds.

It takes some time initially, but if it's going to be a repeated thing it will save a bit of burn time.
A3 2.5w with longer rails making it ~85cm x 40cm