Author Topic: Spindle on A3?  (Read 2033 times)

mattm58

• View Profile
Spindle on A3?
« on: January 31, 2019, 11:18:15 AM »
Don't know which forum this should go in, so admins feel free to move if needed.

I've accumulated a stash of parts, started with a standard A3 and put longer rails on it, then picked up several more A3's second hand.  With the extra frames & electronics, I got to wondering...  Have any of you built a CNC on one of the a3 frames?  I believe with the 3 axis mana board, a Z axis, and T2 to send the grbl, it *should* work theoretically.  Are the eleksmaker steppers strong enough?  Are the 2020/2040 rails strong enough to not flex?  What kind of spindle can you run on one of these?

If anybody has gone down this road I'd love to hear/see what you've done.
A3 2.5w with longer rails making it ~85cm x 40cm

wild.bill

• Hey Laser Lips, Your mother was a snowblower
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle on A3?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 11:59:31 AM »
I went down that road a while back, and it theory it does work. I first tried the 2020 rail for the X axis and later used 2040 rails to make things stiffer. What I found is that with even a small spindle the setup was not stiff enough to do much more than slowly make a  cut. It did work as the picture shows but there was enough flex that you had to go real slow. In the end I took it apart and used the parts in other projects and then went and got a properly designed CNC.
Laser: was an A3 2.0w TTL L6/GRBL Z axis now 2'x3'
          OpenBuilds ACRO 510 w/ 2.0W TTL laser Cohesion Mini/Smoothie Z axis Homing switches
          K40 Cohesion Mini 60W LightObject LPS
          80W CO2 Red-Black 500x700

cool is simply a subjective state of mind

mattm58

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 10:51:39 AM »
Ok, wondering if any of you have any experience with the eleksmaker spindle.  I picked up an eleksmaker z-axis, 3 axis controller and spindle.  Finally got it all setup and running yesterday.  Everything functions as expected, all three axis move as they should.  Only problem I'm running into is that it seems the spindle is so underpowered it's nearly useless.  I put in a 3mm spiral downcut bit in it, and it would bog down enough to stop the spindle doing a line at slow speed (I think around 500 in T2) less than 1mm deep into mdf.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 10:59:06 AM »
1. You you have a 24V spindle motor in a 12V fixture?
2. I think 500mm/min is much to fast.

Please post some info/pictures of your fixture.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

mattm58

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 11:35:10 AM »
It's this setup, a 12v spindle:

https://www.banggood.com/EleksMaker-EleksZAxis-Z-Axis-Spindle-Motor-Drill-Chunk-Integrated-Set-DIY-Upgrade-Kit-for-Laser-Engraver-CNC-Router-p-1435867.html?cur_warehouse=CN

But like almost all of the eleksmaker stuff, came with no documentation.  I can't find any info on the wiki about the spindle, the top has a barrel jack and a red 2 pin connector.  I currently have the barrel jack connected to the motor port on the controller.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 11:59:57 AM »
At least the pictures of the blue anodized aluminum look good. I suspect it is intended to be used with the pointed engraving bits and speeds approaching 50mm/min.

giek2000

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 03:04:13 AM »
The spindle is pretty under powered for any serious cutting. Any faster than the video below and the bit would bite.

Much more suited for small etching jobs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGh4Fx9O1is

mattm58

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 11:20:36 AM »
Update for future lookers -

Talked with eleksmaker directly, long story short - it is what it is, not enough power for cutting.  I was finally able to cut MDF with the eleksmaker spindle, but it was at speeds around 50mm/min and <1mm depth of cut with a 1/8" spiral upcut bit.  Far too slow to be practical.  The spindle is definitely made to do very shallow engaving with a pointed bit, not cutting.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 12:57:21 PM »
Perhaps useful for cutting trace on PCB's.