Author Topic: Longer Rails, Extending Wires  (Read 2173 times)

tillerswife

• View Profile
Longer Rails, Extending Wires
« on: February 27, 2019, 04:26:04 PM »
Howdy.  Am curious about extending my workspace....we have the 65x50cm ebay machine but the inside work space is a lot smaller.  He is wanting a couple of pieces that are around 48 inches long.  Where's the best place for longer rails and wiring extensions for the workspace?  If we can't find them, I am going to have a challenge of working what he wants in steps.  Lining up precise points .... always fun!  ;)

Thanks in advance!

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Longer Rails, Extending Wires
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 07:54:17 PM »
You can get linear rail material from openbuilds.com up to 150mm. A few members on this forum have extended their base machines. A common problem is the vertical spacing between the wheels is not the same as their purchased fixture and they end up with a lot of slop or binding. Suggest you also look into some sort of adjustable wheel tension system.

You new cable span is likely longer than any typical premade harness. I prefer core-xy for large frames because the motors are fixed to the frame and the only long wires feed the laser.

You also will need replacement belts. Do your current belts lie under the v-groove? If so getting the wider (stronger) belts may present a problem.

SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

kibodwin

• View Profile
Re: Longer Rails, Extending Wires
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 03:29:21 AM »
there are several conversions out there, lazor being a very well documented on but =i just saw this on the new =k' forums
https://forum.makerforums.info/t/just-found-this-cut-area-mod-on-thingiverse/2565
=)
Laser: 2500mw A3 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Software: T2Laser, laserweb4, Repitier, Cura
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560
Anycubic Kossel Delta ramps