Author Topic: Endurance Laser 10W Plus  (Read 4734 times)

wveagle81

• View Profile
    • SpartanDragon Custom Laser Engraving
Endurance Laser 10W Plus
« on: April 17, 2019, 05:26:25 AM »

Good morning.  So I finally got around to installing the 10W laser I bought a couple of months ago
and I'm having questions.  I have the wires connected properly I think and everything seems to
work just fine.  Sort of.  It doesn't seem to be putting out the power it's supposed to.  I don't have
a voltmeter/ammeter yet but I plan to purchase one this week.  I have looked at the setup docs
and videos on the Endurance site but I still have some questions.

So questions...

1.  How do I put the laser in low power mode so I can position it safely?  George says I need to set
up a g-code to put it in low power.  So do I need a separate file with some code in it to set low
power and run that in T2 for positioning, then load the regular g-code file for engraving/cutting?
If so that seems to be a bit excessive.  Or is there something in T2 I can use to set the laser in low
power so I can do positioning and run a trace outline to ensure the piece is set up properly?  It's
easy with my Eleksmaker which has a button on the top to put it in low power mode.

2.  Just to make sure I have the cables set properly... the Endurace controller box has two wires
coming out of it for laser control (to the Mana SE board).  I connected the black wire to the "-"
pin and the red wire to the "S" pin.  Is that right?

3.  When I press the "full power" switch on the red controller box the laser fires and burns straight
through my 1/16" mahogany veneer very quickly.  However, when I ran a cut file (255 power and
500 speed) it failed to cut through after 12 passes.  That seems exceedingly strange.  Why the
difference?

Any help would be appreciated.  My plan was to use the 2.5W laser to do smaller projects and testing,
and to use the 10W laser for larger projects which take more time to run.  Right now, though,
after just one day of testing (very limited to be honest) I'm not seeing an improvement.

Thanks.

- Dale
- Epilog 30W
- Mophorn 80W
- CorelDraw, Gimp, and Paint Shop Pro
- Obstacle Racer and Trail Runner

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Endurance Laser 10W Plus
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 10:20:14 AM »
1. You can use power 5 for positioning.

2. If those red and black wires are for the TTL input, yes.

3. If you are using my default firmware and parameters, max power would be 255. Use the manual laser controls, set power at 1000 and turn it on - if it's more powerful then your Grbl settings are not using my defaults. Some software changes these without asking.

wveagle81

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 10:30:43 AM »
1. You can use power 5 for positioning.

I don't have a lot of knowledge of gcode.  Would I add that information to the gcode created by T2?  Or should
I create a file with certain gcode?  Does someone have an already built file I could use?

2. If those red and black wires are for the TTL input, yes.

There's a separate input for Arduino, but I don't know anything about that.  So yes the red and black wires
are for TTL.   So it seems I've got those connected properly.

3. If you are using my default firmware and parameters, max power would be 255. Use the manual laser controls, set power at 1000 and turn it on - if it's more powerful then your Grbl settings are not using my defaults. Some software changes these without asking.

Yes, I'm using T2 so the max laser power I've been using is 255.  I think T2 says the "f" version is installed.
So can I use T2 to run manual laser power?  I'm not at home with my setup so I can't test it just yet.

- Dale
- Epilog 30W
- Mophorn 80W

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 11:17:59 AM »
Do you have a separate board that generates the laser diode drive? If so does it have two sets of inputs, one for power and another for control? Does it have a "weak" laser button?
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

wveagle81

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 11:34:26 AM »
Do you have a separate board that generates the laser diode drive? If so does it have two sets of inputs, one for power and another for control? Does it have a "weak" laser button?

There's a controller box between the Mana board and the laser.  It has two buttons, one for
TTL/Arduino input and the other turns On/Off the laser manually.  The on/off button does not
have a "weak" button.

- Epilog 30W
- Mophorn 80W

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 12:05:34 PM »
Set the manual laser power to 5 and you can use the manual controls to turn the laser on/off for positioning or doing the engrave frame.

The manual laser power value has nothing to do with the G-code.

Double check your Grbl Parameters ($30) or it's a quick test with the 1000 in manual laser power and turn it on vs 255, if it's 4X the power then you know your settings are wrong.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 12:38:47 PM »
Please post picture and/or link to product.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

wveagle81

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 12:46:20 PM »
- Epilog 30W
- Mophorn 80W

mattm58

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 02:17:02 PM »
I've got one as well, built it from kit.

You may be able to check your wiring from my diagrams in the instructable I wrote here:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Assembling-an-Endurance-10w-Laser-Kit/

I've found that even at a power level of 5 it will mark on alder wood.  I use 1, and the manual controls in T2.

I just got a couple of the eleksmaker TTL to PWM modules in, haven't had time to wire one up to the 10w yet.
A3 2.5w with longer rails making it ~85cm x 40cm

wveagle81

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 09:38:48 AM »

I'm beginning to think buying this laser was a bad idea.  I can't even get it to cut
through picture frame matting without running it a dozen times at 400 speed.  It
does cut through in one direction just fine after 6 or 7 passes, but it's having a
problem getting through the other direction after 10 or 12 passes.  Maybe it's
the "grain" of the paper?  It should be able to cut through easily.  I'm using air
assist and I made my own blade table so there's plenty of air space underneath.

Right now I'm running an item which I've previously made on my 2.5w laser, using
the same GCode, and while the engraving is cleaner and deeper, it's still taking
the same amount of time for both the engraving and the cutting.

I was hoping this laser would allow me to cut thicker materials more quickly, but
it just doesn't seem to be doing that just yet.

I'm not sure if it's a voltage issue at the laser head, the controller box says it's
feeding 4.7V and 3.36A but I need to measure it at the laser to see what's
actually getting there.
- Epilog 30W
- Mophorn 80W

wveagle81

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 09:52:04 AM »
Here are examples.  First is my blade table, the second is a cutting sample.
- Epilog 30W
- Mophorn 80W

wveagle81

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 06:32:40 AM »
Update:

I purchased a voltmeter over the weekend and if I'm using it correctly I think there's
a problem with the controller box.

The box is showing 4.7V and between 0.3A and 3.3A when an engraving is running.  I'm
not sure if that's correct.  Input volts (from power) is 12.4V.

I disconnected the wires I attached to the twisted red/black wires coming out of the
controller box (I had to add wire because my frame is 40" square and the wires supplied
weren't even close to that) and measured the voltage at the ends of the supplied wires.
If I'm using the voltmeter correctly, I'm only seeing 2V coming out of the controller.

Any suggestions?  I can post pictures of the voltmeter and what I'm doing for testing
if needed.

Thanks.

- Dale
- Epilog 30W
- Mophorn 80W

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 07:52:29 AM »
You'll need to contact George, I'm sure he will help you get it working or replaced.

wveagle81

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2019, 08:00:10 AM »
You'll need to contact George, I'm sure he will help you get it working or replaced.

I'm talking with him as well, just hoping some folks on here might have some practical experience
with some of the problems I'm having.  I'll be taking a video of my doing the voltage test so he
can see what's going on.
- Epilog 30W
- Mophorn 80W

mattm58

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2019, 08:43:59 AM »
I bought mine as a kit and assembled myself, with lots of help from George.  I don't know if the ones he ships pre-assembled are all tuned for proper voltage/current.  Mine is tuned where under load (laser full power) it's running at 4.5v/4a.  Sounds like yours is WAY underpowered right now.  See the instructables link I posted before to adjust the DC-DC stepdown converter, hopefully it will get you closer to where you need to be.

A3 2.5w with longer rails making it ~85cm x 40cm