Author Topic: replacement Delrin wheels  (Read 3967 times)

donwatson

• View Profile
replacement Delrin wheels
« on: March 25, 2019, 09:46:25 AM »
Hi,
I have purchased the new black Delrin wheels and they are slightly larger than the white wheels that came with the machine.
Is there a supplier for the plates that carry these wheels ?? or will I need to drill out the plates and hope I don't muck it up ??
Any help please.
Don W

sapling

• View Profile
Re: replacement Delrin wheels
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 09:29:19 AM »
Its funny you mention this as I ran into similar issues when I upgraded to a larger rail set. You have two other options in my opinion without breaking the bank depending on how much space you need.
You can buy other wheels but the prices get crazy expensive from my experience. If its just the a-axis you can have someone 3dprint you an adjustable x axis which will allow you to make it slightly larger https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2767575
Otherwise there are some Eccentric Spacers might do the trick for you.
I think when I bought some new wheels the $%(*^ers cost me 40 bucks with shipping for 4 wheels of different sizes.
Otherwise https://openbuildspartstore.com/wheels/
Measure your original wheels to the best of your ability and see if any of the sizes they carry work for you and your needs.
keep in mind the ones at openbuilds are much thicker so they wont sit in the channel as much.

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 10:59:24 AM »
Thanks for that sapling.
I thought it would be a straight swap but no such luck. The  wheels are a bit wider and larger on the diameter but I reckon a 5mm end mill would elongate the holes enough to do the job. Strange that no one else seems to have had this problem.
I have been on the 'EleksMaker' official site with this but only had 1 reply from a chap who reckons I bought the wrong wheels ?? and he needs pictures of the plates/wheels as he doesn't know what my problem is.
Thanks again, I will probably elongate the bottom holes on the plate and leave the top holes where they are, more chance of them staying square then.
I could also get an adjustable X-axis as you describe which does not need any alteration to the frame holes but I would still need to do the Y-Axis plates. I have never found anyone in the UK who could supply the 3d printed pieces that I need.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 11:23:48 AM »

BigAlienRobot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 07:39:49 PM »
I had the same problem. Those stock white wheels that are a bit smaller than the commonly available black wheels are nowhere to be found in obvious places from my experience.
I've gone the re-drilled plate route, the replacement custom drilled wooden plate route, and my new favorite is throwing all the wheels on a a long bolt and shaving them down on a belt/disc sander. Works beautifully!
It's a chemical laser but in solid, not gaseous, form. Put simply, in deference to you Kent, it's like lasing a stick of dynamite.

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 05:06:58 AM »
@Zax, I am a member of the Glenrothes Mens Shed and a 3d printer is on our/my list for sometime this year. I believe our near neighbours in Dundee have a 3d printer so I will contact them. Thanks for the advice on the makerspaces, I will look them up.
@BigAlienRobot, a good idea to take the diameter down but I was thinking the angle on the wheels would need altered at the same time. I will keep this in mind for a future 'fix'.

I tried to measure the distance I need to move the existing holes and I reckon I should raise the top holes on the X-axis plates 5mm.
I will try and get this done later this morning.
There is a meeting at the 'Shed' this evening to discuss future plans so I will raise the subject of a 3d printer (plus training).

take care
Don W
EDIT @Zax,I am afraid the www.gov.uk site does not include Scotland but the makerspace in Dundee is an ideal place. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 03:01:45 AM by donwatson »

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 01:07:47 PM »
Hi All,
I have fitted the new wheels and it  looks good at the moment.
I think I need a longer cable
Don W

BigAlienRobot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 08:06:00 PM »
Drilled out the top holes - looks good!
I broke some acrylic plates doing that a couple times. Gotta be careful! Nice work!
It's a chemical laser but in solid, not gaseous, form. Put simply, in deference to you Kent, it's like lasing a stick of dynamite.

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 08:11:41 AM »
The X-axis plates I took off to modify had a crack from  the bottom hole to the cutout, this is the reason I chose to open the top holes (more meat at the top). I also rejigged the support bracket I made to keep the cables tidy and moved the control board to the top of it. My laser now covers an area 615mm X  450mm (about 24" x 17"), plenty big enough for me and I don't need a longer cable.
I think now I should fit limit switches and set up an area about A3 size for regular working. I will be back for more advice I think when I start that.
Thanks for all your help guys.
Don W

EDIT punctuation
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 08:13:45 AM by donwatson »