Author Topic: Multipass on DXF file?  (Read 1740 times)

CaseyP

• View Profile
Multipass on DXF file?
« on: August 31, 2019, 10:08:48 AM »
Hello all,

I am trying to make some small tags for my mom, and it is essentially some clipart and text on a piece of leather.

I would like the image and text to just get 1 or 2 passes, or a slower pass, for example,

Then the edges and some circle (holes for thread) to get multipasses and be cut free. 

Essentially the sketch Plus (Overlay) function,  but it doesn't seem to work on a DXF import.

I hit AutoTrace, and click outside the art, but nothing turns red. 

I would also like to set up the colors = cutting speed fuctionality, but I have no idea how to adjust those settings and assign a color.

Thanks all. 

I'll attach images once I get to work and can dig them out of gmail.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Multipass on DXF file?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 10:33:50 AM »
You can't trace a DXF as it's already vector, tracing is the process of converting raster (image) to vector (path).

The feature you want is called Engrave and Cut in the DXF menu.

o   Used with multi-pass. The first pass is engraved (all colors) and subsequent passes are cut (Black only, other colors are ignored)

You can also duplicate the paths in the DXF (with engrave and cut disabled) so you can engrave 2 passes and cut 6 or whatever you want. In my CAD program there's a copy in place feature which duplicates the selected path.

CaseyP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 11:51:32 AM »
Great, thank you.

I am using inkscape, and I didn't even know I could assign colors in that program.   I'll set the engrave only items to a color and the rest I'll leave black.

Is there a way to color certain lines / objects in T2? 

Appreciate the help again this week.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 01:11:05 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean, as in change the color of the DXF paths? No. You would do that in the CAD before exporting the DXF.

CaseyP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 01:57:04 PM »
I figured out how to change the colors in Inkscape, so I can use the Cut and Engrave mode that you mentioned :)

For any future users with the same question:

Hit Ctrl Shift W in inkscape to bring up the Swatch tool, select a vector path and click on a color from the bottom menu.

Hopefully tonight I can test this new file after I get off work.

CaseyP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 10:32:00 PM »
Well, I guess I spoke too soon. 

I was able to figure out the file in SVG format, but then as soon as I turn it into DXF, I lose all of the color coding, and get a huge blob of black stroke outline across all the engraving. 

I'm not sure why DXF loses the colors, but that makes the Cut and Engrave option not really viable. 

I feel like I'm grossly overcomplicating this.   I just want to do some vector clipart and text, and then cut out a rectangle around the material on 1.8mm leather.

I'll attach the files below in case I am missing something simple.  Basically I just want the vector lines to be green in the DXF file, and not black thick stroke lines.   

This is the same file pre and post DXF conversion.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 03:52:00 AM »
I'm not sure why you had a problem setting the color but otherwise everything looks fine.

You need to remove all fill and set the stroke color as that's the vector path. It loads correctly.

If you want to raster the clipart and then cut you could either add a pseudo fill (hatch) in Inkscape or use a raster and trace the cuts using Sketch Plus.

CaseyP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 06:40:57 AM »
Thanks Zax,

I got the color thing sorted, I found the Inkscape Palette you created and used those colors.

I was able to successfully use Cut and Engrave mode, and have the black outline get 6 passes, while the engraved area only got one. 

That was exactly what I wanted.

Now the only problem is, the engraved area in green came out very faint compared to previous test, where the only thing all got 1 pass only.

Could it be because of the green, and T2 is using lower laser power?

Is there a way to customize those settings or disable them for Cut and Engrave mode?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 08:42:12 AM »
The default laser power for green is 20% of laser max, you could use Red for 80% or you can change these in the menu and get 100%

You could enable Absolute DXF Colors and set it to 0, then every color would be 100% or alternatively if you use a color that isn't in the T2Laser palette it will display as black but will engrave only, the problem with Inkscape is how it translates colors.