Author Topic: Size limit for dxf file? (RESOLVED)  (Read 2195 times)

just_doug

• View Profile
Size limit for dxf file? (RESOLVED)
« on: October 03, 2019, 03:11:40 PM »
Is there a size limit for a dxf file on BCL?  I keep getting an "Index was outside the bounds of the array" error.  I'm not quite sure what that even means actually.  I used Autocad a lot back in the 90's and I'm trying to relearn on Librecad, but I'm so rusty it's not funny.  Enclosed are the files.  One is the original dxf the other is the PDF I used Convert2DFX on thinking that might fix the problem.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 06:18:48 AM by Administrator »
Doug LaFleur
Somewhere in the farmland, west of Port Huron, MI
3 Watt Ali-Bang something or other
10 Watt Endurance
Self modified 4 x 8 foot table

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
Re: Size limit for dxf file?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 04:26:40 PM »
Make sure your objects are in the positive plane and not negative. Lower left corner of your object should not be below 0,0

Also, if you like autocad and are used to it, give the free version of NanoCAD a try. So far it is the most similar to autocad that I have used.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 04:29:39 PM by ThothLoki »
Laser: 2x EleksMaker A3s
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2 / Sovol SV01
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

Paul Henty

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 06:24:18 AM »
Hi Doug,

I've had a look at this DXF file. Unfortunately it looks like there are a few problems with it.

The main problem is that the text objects have HTML codes embedded in then. Instead of a space it has " ". This is confusing the DXF parser that we use inside BenCutLaser.

This would be easy to fix by editing all the text boxes and replace   with a real space, however there is another problem...

There seems to be some text objects which are not being read by LibreCAD or QCAD, but are being picked up by our parser. These look to be duplicates of the information block (date, author etc) at the bottom right of the drawing. So while I can fix some of the problem text, there are other duplicates which I cannot edit with these programs because they are not recognising them.

You may be able to clean up this DXF file in a different CAD program but I don't have any others.

Paul
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 06:25:27 AM by Paul Henty »

just_doug

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 06:44:34 PM »
Thanks all.  I will have to figure out how to remove ( or copy ) drawing elements out and place them in a new, clean drawing.  Maybe by creating blocks out of items that can be used elsewhere.  I'll just have to remember how.  I'm trying nanoCAD.  It seems a little friendlier.
Doug LaFleur
10 Watt Endurance

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 09:14:03 PM »
If you prefer a more parametric approach there is openscad. It is a computer language that in some aspects resembles C.You build you design using primitives such as CUBE & CYLINDER and operators such as TRANSLATE, ROTATE, DIFFERENCE, and UNION. The mouse only enters the game for displaying the resulting model. I chanced upon it about 3 years ago when doing my first 2D laser cutting and now for 3D printing.  I have zero free hand art skills so drawing a circle of radius R at location X,Y fits my abilities and its great for complex designs where parts must align with kerf compensation.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

just_doug

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 07:31:46 PM »
Thanks everybody!  I figured out all the problems (or at least work-arounds).
     1.  Drawing size.  It was telling me the drawing size was over 33,000mm.  Those were origin points for the radius of the back of the body in different views.  (The back of acoustic guitars typically have a 25 to 35 foot radius)
     2.  Downloaded nanoCad.  It is very similar to Autocad, and though the process has a few hoops to jump through, it is free.
     3.  NanoCad allows you to have several drawings open at the same time, in tabbed views.  After getting rid of all the extra lines and text, I was able to copy and paste front and rear body halves, inner struts and bracing, all into separate files. 

I successfully cut test parts out of heavy card stock and the sizing is perfect.  Just waiting on my 10watt from George at Endurance.  In the meantime I'm getting my wood-shop reorganized.

Doug LaFleur
Doug LaFleur
10 Watt Endurance

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 08:24:05 AM »
Glad to hear you got everything working!!!

Yeah NanoCAD can be a bit clunky. It is equivalent to a really old version of autocad. I get frustrated with nano at times because I am so used to autocad 2019 at work.
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

just_doug

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 02:40:56 PM »
Glad to hear you got everything working!!!

Yeah NanoCAD can be a bit clunky. It is equivalent to a really old version of autocad. I get frustrated with nano at times because I am so used to autocad 2019 at work.

I used autocad 11 on a 386 running on Dos 5 back in 1995.  And we liked it.
Doug LaFleur
10 Watt Endurance

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 07:50:27 AM »
I used autocad 11 on a 386 running on Dos 5 back in 1995.  And we liked it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
It has come a long way. Still has problems that nobody can explain though.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 09:20:33 AM »
A long ways backwards!!!!!
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.