Author Topic: Laser Diode Drivers  (Read 2964 times)

markcusc

• View Profile
Laser Diode Drivers
« on: November 14, 2016, 01:48:55 PM »
Hi all I'm a newbie here, and also new to laser engravers, but have ample knowledge when it come to electronics and stuff. Do you suggest any laser drivers for my 2W blue laser diode?

Donít know why (yet) but it stopped working and I havenít used it that much so far. Honestly Iím not 100% sure that the problem is the driver, however there seems to be no problem from the microcontroller side as the gantry moves fine. Additionally neither the fan nor the diode are powered when I try to control the laser from the Benbox software.

Many thanks :)

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Laser Diode Drivers
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 02:42:56 PM »
First off, welcome to the forum!

The fan comes on when the laser module gets power so if the fan is not coming on then there isn't any or enough power making it to the laser module. I would suspect the MOSFET on the Eleks board in this case.

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 03:38:30 PM »
First of all it would help tp know where you bought your unit and which one. Some of these later models have cloned controller boards. So identifying the controller board is important. If it is a true "benbox" style kit then it should have an Elk's Maker L2/L7 board. The reason I ask is that you stated you had a 2W unit where normally these units are 2500mw (2.5W). The benbox kits supply 12V to their laser modules. Some others supply 5V.

I had problems with the 500mw laser modules fan. The fan would stick and refused to spin when under pwm. Pulling on the fan loosened it up and it started working better. But if the fan will not spin at all you may not be getting power to the laser.

ONLY TRY THE BELOW ADVICE IF YOU HAVE A TRUE ELEK'S MAKER BOARD IN A BENBOX KIT!

You can try plugging the laser module into the fan connector. That is direct 12V without a switched source. If the laser works plugged in there then you probably lost the MOSFET. One thing that usually kills the MOSFET is leaving the weak button on too long or it accidentally being. If the laser does not work, then it either the Driver or the diode.

The MOSFET can be replaced or you can replace the board. I replaced the MOSFET, after leaving the weak button on too long and the board is working fine. These boards are pretty low budget design.
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw
Printrbot Play. Ext bed, integrated tablet control.
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 05:31:46 PM »
You are probably the 873rd user on this forum with this issue. I also experienced the same behavior. Wish there was users guide with a trouble shooting section.

You indicated skill with electronics. I have published elsewhere on this forum reverse engineered schematics of the Eleks L6 & L7 controller boards (no guarantee of accuracy). The controllers are truly quite simple.

Equally important is the firmware embedded in the controller cpu. Some are closed and some are open source. If you want to use either T2Laser or BenCutLaser I would suggest you reload with one of their supported versions.

Notes:
  1. If you currently have the closed firmware you might want to upload it first as getting
      replacement files seems to be difficult.
  2. If the controller is a plugin Arduino Nano, many users just get a replacement board.
  3. Not all low cost Nano's are usable. Search this site.
  4. Visually examine board for crud. Wash with solvent.

SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 05:50:26 PM »
Welcome Mark...!!!
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com