Author Topic: completily off topic; dog owners, what forum for dog info?  (Read 839 times)

kibodwin

• View Profile
completily off topic; dog owners, what forum for dog info?
« on: February 09, 2021, 06:36:10 AM »
Hi,
I hope you are all doing well in these complicated times.
Having recently taken up the challenge of owning a dog, I was wondering if users here could suggest a good dog forum. I ask as I have a few questions I would like to ask. For ex; my 15Kg+ puppy pulls a lot on the leash. I am trying to train this out of him but progress has been painfully slow, he keeps ripping my arm off. I was wondering if just to get the training to stick, so for a short term, one of those choke collars might be useful. Personally I detest the idea but I need to think of the dogs training because as it stands my daughters get pulled around by the pup and this has led to cuts and bruises.
I have other questions so this is why I am looking for a correct dog forum.
I dont know if it matters but the dog is a Bouvier Des Ardennes, forums for this breed would be cool, I looked but could not find any..
as posts without pictures are useless here is a picture of my new copilot!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=875843983174512&set=pb.100022467559909.-2207520000..&type=3
Ki
update;
I have read into it and I am no convinced about these choke collars. I will look into some other training.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 01:18:12 AM by kibodwin »
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Software: T2Laser, laserweb4, Repitier, Cura
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560
Anycubic Kossel Delta ramps

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: completily off topic; dog owners, what forum for dog info?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 11:25:15 AM »
We took ours to "Puppy Boot Camp". Bought both the chock and electric shock collars but could not use either. After nine months she settled in and is now 99.9% voice responsive. Positive rewards with "High Quality" treats really worked. She can smell cheese or hot-dog from 500 meters. We live in an area where we do not normally use a lease. When it is attached she seems to think she is controlling me. Remember, there is nothing innate in a lease. They have to learn that something good is the end result.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

kibodwin

• View Profile
Re: completily off topic; dog owners, what forum for dog info?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 02:23:19 AM »
Tahnks for the advice, looks like I just have to train and train and train. I did not want to use those choking collars so
I will see how it goes.
I swear, after posting here the puppy started to noticably behave, especially on a very short leash. He stayed close without pulling.
It was really great as when we passed a school he resisted going to play with the kids. That is huge progress.

I will keep at it, thanks again for the advice

=)
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Software: T2Laser, laserweb4, Repitier, Cura
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560
Anycubic Kossel Delta ramps