Author Topic: Engraver Upgrades  (Read 281 times)

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
Engraver Upgrades
« on: April 30, 2021, 08:12:31 PM »
Hey all. Been gone for way too long.
First, It has been roughly two years since I last did some serious lasering. My babies have been calling out to me to be used. Sadly, I was not able to accommodate for some time.
I am going on year 3 of a new job position. I now work in the CAD design department of my company. I now have a new baby boy who is going to turn 1 in 2 weeks!!! For those of you planning on having kids..........don't have one during a pandemic...........
About 6 months ago, I sold my house and moved 200 miles more north!!! So much happier now. For those of you that do not know. I lived about 30 miles outside of Minneapolis, MN. This have been a bit "tense" in my state for the past year. I am just happy to be away from the Twin Cities now.

Now, to the main reason for this post. I have my main machine assembled again and have been looking at it in the same way a plastic surgeon looks at a woman with a lot of money. I want to make it better. Lighter gantry, better cable management..........the list goes on.

What I am thinking. Get them heavy steppers off the Y axis. Mount them in the front and make a closed loop system with the GT2 belt. Anyone else try this?
For cable management, i want me some new drag chains. I like some of the printed versions out there, but am curious what others do.
Laser: 2x EleksMaker A3s
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2 / Sovol SV01
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
Re: Engraver Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 08:39:52 PM »
Quick mock up, but was thinking something like this for the Y axis motors
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 07:20:42 AM »
Good to hear from you. This group has been very quiet. Much quieter than a baby!!!!

I went core-xy three years ago. 8020 extrusion, linear rails and bearings, 3D printed joints and mounts. Currently working on a powered Z-Axis. Would like about 5mm travel.

Poor laser is dying. Works but consumes significantly more power.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 07:43:51 AM »
OOF! Yea, I have been lucky enough to still have decent power from my laser modules. I have, however, bad luck with my nanos. While moving my machine, i ripped off the USB port...........

I think some extras are in order.

Right now, i am working on marking metal with a diode laser. I have has some success but am still dialing in the speed/power/passes
Corexy would be cool but it seems a hair over complicated for these simple machines. Just getting the motors off the gantry mount should help with backlash and help increase speed.