Author Topic: Question on T2 with non-Arduino controller boards  (Read 1908 times)

dindunuffin

• Not even bright enough to participate in forum.
    • View Profile
Question on T2 with non-Arduino controller boards
« on: December 08, 2021, 11:16:49 AM »
This question is probably best answered by Zax, but anyone that knows the answer will be great.

I just purchased a new TT2.5 laser kit from TwoTrees.         https://twotrees3d.com/product/laser-wood-engraver/
Got a $94 dollar deal so why not upgrade my old stuttering A5, am I right?
This came with a board that doesn't use a Arduino Nano like my last board, it says its an MKS LKS board.  I assume all the "brains" are built into it and it claims to work with GRBL and LightBurn software.

I only have the one Nano based board which is several years old and I'm not familar with the newer boards. I haven't tinkered with it in a long time, I just use it and it works.
If it will allow me to overwrite the GRBL version, would you guys upload the T2 version of GRBL as well? Or just go with the version they have installed? ie leave well enough alone.
I'm apprehensive to start overwriting the GRBL that came with it without sufficient knowledge of what I'm doing.  If left to my own devices I can screw up anything.
I haven't tested it yet, haven't even put it together as it just arrived.  I'm assuming T2 will run just fine, I thought I'd just ask before I get there.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Question on T2 with non-Arduino controller boards
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 04:38:26 PM »
Guess it depends if it is a true port of grbl 1.1. There are quite a few grbl packages on github.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

dindunuffin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 11:45:08 AM »
I think for now I'll just leave it as is, its working just fine out of the box with T2 laser.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 04:37:26 AM »
It has custom firmware and you can't flash using T2Laser (which is for AVR based controllers) but as you found it should work just fine since T2Laser works with any Grbl based machines.

Sheepdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2021, 03:21:37 PM »
Greetings all. Seems like this might be my lucky day. Have been away for a while and logged on today and found a situation similar to mine. My lasers, cnc''s, etc. is all packed up and will probably be for a few more months. Long story short, I found what I think was my first laser, not packed away and want to use it just to get back familiar with everything. It is built along the lines of the homemade one built out of 2 old computer drives. It runs on LiteFire Laser software which is kind of hit and miss or limited. It has what I think is a mini Uno board or something I am not familiar with. I don't have the origional software so I don't want to over write it because it does work but.
Question is. Can I take a board with drivers, power supply and make this unit work with T2laser until I can get my other units back together? Realize it is a small unit and limited but will still give me something to play with.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
S Ga.USA, Banggood A3 2.5w engraver

dindunuffin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 11:51:14 AM »
I'll leave that to the experts, I don't even know what an AVR board is, but I'm guessing its an Arduino board of some kind as opposed to a custom board. I'm more included to leave alone those things that are working and that I do not understand very well. I'm sure someone on here can answer your question if they happen to see it.