Author Topic: Cork Coasters  (Read 2416 times)

eodguy

• View Profile
Cork Coasters
« on: June 07, 2016, 02:55:16 PM »
Well they say if at first you do not succeed try and try again. Or in my case about 40 more times. I have not been able to get what I believe is the perfect engraving on this cork. I have tried a range of feed rates, power settings, and resolutions. I have also adjusted it to be slightly out of focus as mentioned in another post(How much out is too much?. The cork with single images are from left to right:1000 F/r, 215 Power, 0.1 res, focused; 1900 F/r, 222 power, 0.3 res, out of focus, 1500 F/r, 220 power, 0.2 res, focused. The other cork of jumbled mess is everything else above and below those.

Nigelnowhere

• View Profile
Re: Cork Coasters
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 03:50:00 PM »
This first two on the top image both look pretty good. However it looks like the laser might be running too long and it starts of dark and gets lighter as it goes one. That could be a loss of power from over heating. You may want to set you your fast feed rate ( speed when the laser is off ) to a much slower rate to give the laser time to cool down a little between lines. I have been considering the possibility of added cooking be it air or water or both for the laser head.
2500mw Eleks Maker A3 and A5 running GRBL 0.9 and using T2 laser. I have two lasers and I am not afraid to make them work for me.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 04:53:27 PM »
The center one (top image) looks pretty good to me, cork is a difficult material and I've personally never been happy with the results.

I would personally leave the resolution and power static (e.g. 0.25 and 255), then vary speed around 1500-2500.

eodguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 09:38:12 PM »
I finally got a result I like. Still slightly darker in the bottom left(start point).

1200 MM/MIN
217 PWR
0.15 Res
Slightly out of focus